Resilient performer who was granted another year of eligibility by NCAA • has been oft-injured leading to a sixth year at Carolina to complete her career • returned to the team in 2011 after a year's absence because of a hip injury • missed both 2008 & 2010 seasons because of injuries (foot and hip, respectively) • started for much of her sophomore year at a flank midfield position and was part-time starter again in 2011 • a three-time returning letter winner who took a redshirt year in 2008 after suffering a foot injury during that summer • a strong physical presence in the midfield • a tough tackler and fearless defensive performer • has shown great improvement since she arrived at UNC.
Junior Season (2011)
Played in all 20 games • started nine times including first two games of the season against Nebraska and Notre Dame at forward spot • started five straight games at mid-season against ACC opponents • scored UNC's opening goal of the season just two minutes into a 2-1 win at Nebraska • also scored against NC State • had assists in victories over Clemson and Baylor • played 843 minutes on the season • named to fall semester 2011 Dean's List.
Sophomore Season (2009)
Won team's most improved player award • developed into one of Carolina's key performers in 2009 • played in all 27 games for UNC • earned 12 starting assignments • earned almost all of her starts in the middle third of the season • played 1,212 minutes, including 85 minutes in the double overtime win over Boston College in the ACC Tournament semifinals • had two goals and two assists for six points • had assists on goals in wins against NC State and Georgia • scored both of her goals off of corner kicks • put the Tar Heels ahead 1-0 in the 84th minute against Duke, scoring on her own rebound, for her first career goal • UNC went on to win that game in overtime • her other goal came in the 1-0 regular-season win at Maryland, the game-winner in the seventh minute of play.
Freshman Season (2007)
Appeared in 10 games as a freshman • picked up her first career point when she recorded an assist against UNC Greensboro on September 12 • an astute penalty kick performer who was chosen by Coach Dorrance to take a penalty kick in the ACC tournament semifinal game against Virginia as the Heels emerged victorious 4-2 in the shootout • she successfully converted the third penalty attempt for the Tar Heels.
ODP, National Teams & Club Soccer
Played for the Greensboro '88 Twisters Green club team for six years as a midfielder • helped lead her club team to state championships in 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2007 • her Greensboro '88 Twisters Green club team won a regional championship in 2005 • the club was also a regional finalist team in 2006 • named a club team All-America selection in 2005.
Graduated in May 2007 from Wesleyan Christian Academy in High Point, N.C. • previously had attended Southwest Guilford High School • played soccer tfor four years as a center midfielder • was a point guard on the basketball team for four seasons • her high school's female athlete of the year in 2007 • high school All-State in both 2006 and 2007 • named to All-Region Team in 2004, 2006 and 2007.
Given name is Maria Lubrano-Lavadera • is the daughter of Anna and Biagio Lubrano-Lavadera • was born September 10, 1988 in High Point, N.C. • majors in exercise and sports science • her parents are both natives of Italy with passions for cooking and soccer • her brother is engaged to be married to former Tar Heel Mandy Moraca, Class of 2009.
Up Close With Maria Lubrano
Section #1: Soccer
1. The best things about being a Tar Heel soccer player are meals at the coaches' houses and fun team adventures with Tom Sander.
2. My favorite thing about competing for Coach Dorrance is the competitive environment he creates.
3. Since last year the aspect of my training I've worked on the most is rehabbing my left hip.
4. My greatest strength as a soccer player is fearlessness.
Section #2: Interests
1. Away from the soccer field and academic pursuits I like to spend time playing tennis with my best friend.
2. The best movie I've seen recently is Water for Elephants.
3. If I could compete in another sport at UNC it would be basketball.
4.The music act I'd most like to see in person is Shawn McDonald.
5. The personal interest I have that might surprise my teammates is my interest in watching Make it or Break It because I would love to be a gymnast.
Section #3: Food & Beverage
1. After a game at Fetzer Field, I'd like to see a buffet spread at McCaskill that included Zaxby's, Top of the Hill sweet potato fries and Nantucket Strawberry Shortcake.
2. My favorite beverage is Coca Cola Cherry Zero.
3. My favorite food made by a relative is Tiramisu Della Mia Nonna made by Zia Maria.
4.My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill is Nantucket Grill and Bar.
5. My favorite guilty pleasure food wise is Nutella.
Section #4: Personality
1. If I possessed the gift of time travel I'd like to go to Greece.
2. My most prized personal possession is my Bible.
3. If I could go to dinner with a famous person it would be Ellen DeGeneres.
4. My dream job is dolphin trainer.
5. The most interesting person I've met at UNC is Tom Sander.
Maria Lubrano's Career Statistics
Year GP/GS Shots G A PTS
2007 10/0 0 0 1 1
2009 27/12 17 2 2 6
2011 20/9 9 2 2 6
Totals 57/21 26 4 5 13
MARIA LUBRANO'S CAREER SCORING GAMES
Date Opponent G A PTS
9/12/2007 UNC Greensboro 0 1 1
2007 TOTALS 0 1 1
9/24/2009 Duke 1 0 2
10/9/2009 NC State 0 1 1
11/1/2009 Maryland 1 0 2
11/15/2009 Georgia (NCAA) 0 1 1
2009 TOTALS 2 2 6
8/19/2011 Nebraska 1 0 2
9/16/2011 NC State 1 0 2
10/6/2011 Clemson 0 1 1
11/18/2011 Baylor 0 1 1
2011 TOTALS 2 2 6
CAREER TOTALS 4 5 13
|Hometown:||High Point, N.C.|
|High School:||Wesleyan Christian Academy|
|Major:||Exercise & Sports Science|