Carolina 59, Albany 54
March 24, 2013
Bob Carpenter Center • Newark, Del.
• Tierra Ruffin-Pratt finished with a career-high 30 points. She is just the third player in UNC history to score 30 points in an NCAA tournament game. Tracy Reid scored 33 points against Howard in the first round in 1998, while Tonya Sampson scored 30 twice - against Alabama in the 1993 second round and against Connecticut in the 1994 regional final.
• Ruffin-Pratt has tied or surpassed her career high in points three times in the last seven games. She matched her previous career high with 24 against NC State on Feb. 24 and she eclipsed that mark with 25 against Duke on March 10. She is averaging 23.5 points in four postseason games.
• After going scoreless in the first half against Duke on March 10, Ruffin-Pratt has scored 55 points in three halves against Duke and Albany. She had 19 in the second half Sunday, giving her 44 points after halftime in her last two games.
• In her four previous NCAA tournament games (three in 2011, one in 2010), Ruffin-Pratt averaged 8.3 points per contest. Her previous high was 14 against Stanford in the 2011 Spokane Region semifinal.
• With seven made free throws Sunday, Ruffin-Pratt passed LaToya Pringle for third all-time at Carolina in single-season free throws made. She has 166 makes on 237 attempts (70.0 percent), eight shy of Charlotte Smith's school record of 174 in 1994-95.
• Waltiea Rolle finished with 14 points, 14 rebounds and a career-high eight blocks. No player in UNC history has ever had a triple-double.
• In her four previous NCAA tournament games, Rolle averaged 3.8 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks.
• With her eight blocks, Rolle passed herself for seventh on the single-season UNC blocks list. She now has 83 blocks, one behind Dawn Royster (1983-84) for sixth. She also has the No. 8 and No. 11 marks on that list.
• Krista Gross finished with eight rebounds to move to 297 on the season. She is now just seven shy of Charlotte Smith (304, 1993-94) for 10th in school history.• UNC is 10-5 this season when tied or trailing at halftime after Sunday's comeback win over Albany. The Tar Heels were 9-29 in those situations the previous three seasons.
• Carolina is 9-0 in games decided by five points or less and 14-2 in games decided by 10 points or less.
• UNC now has an all-time NCAA record of 42-22 in 24 overall appearances.
• Carolina is 40-18 in NCAA Championship play in 20 appearances under Sylvia Hatchell.
• Carolina is now 17-4 all-time in NCAA first round games, with its last loss coming to Gonzaga in 2010.
• The Tar Heels are 24-21 all-time in NCAA Championship games played away from Chapel Hill.