FORT WORTH, TEXAS - The North Carolina men's tennis team dropped a tough 4-3 decision Saturday afternoon to TCU at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. TCU improved to 9-4 with the win while the Tar Heels have dropped three in a row and now stand 7-5.
The match took nearly five hours being played indoors with only four courts available. No. 5 and No. 6 singles were not put on the courts until earlier matches were decided.
TCU claimed the doubles point with the deciding match coming at No. 1 where Nick Chappell and Will Stein outlasted Esben Hess-Olesen and Maik Ulrich 9-7.
The two teams then split the six singles matches. Carolina fought behind after going down 2-0. Wins by Brett Clark at #3 singles and by Esben Hess-Olesen at #1 singles evened the match at 2-2.
TCU went back up with a singles win at #4 by Orlando Superlano before Oystein Steiro won at #5 singles over Rudolfo Bustamante 6-3, 6-1.
The Horned Frogs claimed the last match on the court as J.T. Sundling prevailed over UNC freshman Stuart DePaolo at the No. 6 spot by a 7-6 (3), 6-4 count.
The Tar Heels will look to bounce back Tuesday when it plays at the University of Texas in Austin at 7 p.m. Live stats for the match will be available on GoHeels.com.
#57 TCU 4, #44 North Carolina 3
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of
Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (3, 2, 1)
1. Nick Chappell/Will Stein (TCU) d. Esben Hess-Olesen/Maik Ulrich (UNC), 9-7
2. William Parker/Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Max Stevens/J.T. Sundling (TCU), 8-5
3. Arnau Dachs/Orlando Superlano (TCU) d. Brett Clark/Oystein Steiro (UNC), 8-4
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 6)
1. #29 Esben-Hess Olesen (UNC) d. Nick Chappell (TCU), 6-3, 6-3
2. #108 Arnau Dachs (TCU) d. #110 Nelson Vick (UNC), 6-1, 6-3
3. #124 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 7-5, 6-2
4. Orlando Superlano (TCU) d. William Parker (UNC), 6-4, 6-45. Oystein Steiro (UNC) d, Rodolfo Bustamante (TCU), 6-3, 6-1
6. J.T. Sundling (TCU) d. Stuart DePaolo (UNC), 7-6 (3), 6-4
Records: North Carolina (7-5), TCU (9-4)