AUSTIN, TEXAS - The North Carolina men's tennis team dropped a 6-1 decision to 14th-ranked Texas Tuesday night at Penick-Allison Tennis Center.
The highlight of the match for Carolina was the battle at #1 singles between twin brothers Esben Hess-Olesen of North Carolina and Soren Hess-Olesen of UT. Esben, ranked 35th nationally, scored a three-set come-from-behind win over Soren, ranked #43 nationally. Soren won the first set 6-3 before Esben took sets two and three by identical 6-4 scores, ending the team match three hours and thirty minutes in.
Texas improved to 10-4 with the victory heading into a match against Virginia Friday in Austin. The Tar Heels have now dropped four matches in a row and are 7-6 overall. Carolina will open its ACC season Friday when it plays host to NC State at 3 p.m. at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
The Longhorns won two of three competitive doubles matches to go up 1-0 in the match heading into singles play. Brett Clark and Oystein Steiro defeated Soren Hess-Olesen and Nick Naumann of the Horns 8-6 at #3 doubles before Texas bounced back with a win at #2. UT then earned the doubles point with 19th-ranked Chris Camillone and David Holiner outlasting Esben Hess-Olesen and Maik Ulrich of UNC 8-6.
A trio of straight set victories by Texas led to a fairly quick clinch for the Horns in singles action. Lloyd Glasspool at #2 singles, Sudanwa Sitaram at #4 singles and Nick Naumann at #5 singles all won in successive sets to make it 4-0 Texas.
At #6 singles, David Holiner won 11 straight games at the end of the match to rally past Stuart DePaolo 3-6, 6-1, 6-0. The match at #3 singles was razor close with #82 Daniel Whitehead of Texas edging #104 Brett Clark of UNC. Clark won the first set 6-1 before Whitehead won the second set in a tiebreaker 7-6 (7-4). Since the match was already clinched by the start of the third set the two players engaged in a pro-set tiebreaker with Whitehead winning it 8-6.
#14 Texas 6, #57 North Carolina 1
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of
Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (3, 2, 1)
1. #19 Chris Camillone/David Holiner (UT) d. Esben Hess-Olesen/Maik Ulrich (UNC), 8-6
2. Ben Chen/Daniel Whitehead (UT) d. William Parker/Nelson Vick (UNC), 8-4
3. Brett Clark/Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Soren Hess-Olesen/Nick Naumann (UT), 8-6
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (2, 4, 5, 6, 3, 1)
1. #35 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) d. #43 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) d. #113 Nelson Vick (UNC), 6-2, 6-3
3. #82 Daniel Whitehead (UT) d. #104 Brett Clark (UNC), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (6)
4. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) d. William Parker (UNC), 6-4, 6-15. Nick Naumann (UT) d. #114 Oystein Steiro (UNC), 6-3, 6-4
6. David Holiner (UT) d. Stuart DePaolo (UNC), 3-6, 6-1, 6-0
Records: North Carolina (7-6), Texas (10-4)