CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The 18th-ranked North Carolina men's tennis team finished off its opening day with a 6-1 win over Gardner-Webb, leaving the Tar Heels with a spotless 2-0 mark after the opening day of competition. Earlier on Saturday, Carolina defeated Wofford 7-0 in its season opener at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
The Tar Heels claimed early momentum as they swept all three doubles matches while dropping only five games. Freshman Stuart DePaolo and sophomore Oystein Steiro were first off the court at #3 as they defeated Benjamin Kaszas and Joao Poli 8-1. That was followed up quickly with a win at #1 doubles by the 44th-ranked duo of Esben Hess-Olesen and Nelson Vick as it defeated Ernest Alberch and Matthew Parker 8-1. UNC's Brett Clark and William Parker also won for the Tar Heels at the #2 doubles spot.
UNC went on to win the first five singles matches off the court to build a winning 6-0 advantage before the Bulldogs captured the #6 singles match. Carolina captured all five of the matches at the top-seeded positions in straight sets. Junior Nelson Vick won decisively 6-1, 6-0 at #2 singles while William Parker earned a 6-1, 6-3 decision at #3 singles.
Senior Taylor Meyer turned in one of the finest performances of the day as he defeated Matthew Parker of the Bulldogs 6-4, 6-0 at #5 singles, clinching shortly after Esben Hess-Olesen bageled Adam Knutsson-Sundblad in the second set of a 6-3, 6-0 triumph. Oystein Steiro had the last point for UNC as he downed Ernest Alberch at #4 singles by a 6-4, 6-3 score.
The Tar Heels will next be in action on Friday, January 19 in the ITA Kickoff Event being hosted by the University of Illinois at the Atkins Tennis Center. UNC will meet Tulsa at 2 p.m. in the first of two matches followed by Illinois against Tennessee at 6 p.m. The two winners meet on Saturday for a spot in the ITA Indoor Nationals February 15-18 in Seattle, Wash.
#18 North Carolina
6, Gardner-Webb 1
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (3, 1, 2)
1. #44 Esben Hess-Olesen and Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Ernest Alberch and Matthew Parker (GW), 8-1
2. Brett Clark and William Parker (UNC) d. Adam Knutsson-Sundblad and Nikita Zverkov (GW), 8-3
3. Stuart DePaolo and Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Benjamin
Kaszas and Joao Poli (GW), 8-1
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6)
1. #18 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) d. Adam Knutsson-Sundblad (GW), 6-3, 6-0
2. #58 Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Roman Piftor (GW), 6-1, 6-0
3. #102 William Parker (UNC) d. Benjamin Kaszas (GW), 6-1, 6-3
4. Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Ernest Alberch (GW), 6-4, 6-35. Taylor Meyer (UNC) d. Matthew Parker (GW), 6-4, 6-0
6. Brendan Dempsey (GW) d. Maik Ulrich (UNC), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
Records: North Carolina (2-0), Gardner-Webb (0-1)