DALLAS, TEXAS - University of North Carolina head coach Rich DeSelm takes his talented women's team to Dallas this weekend to compete against some of the nation's top teams in the annual SMU Swim Classic.
The two-day event features six nationally-ranked swim teams from six different conferences; No. 3 USC (PAC 12), No. 9 Texas (Big 12), No. 10 Florida (SEC), No. 16 SMU (C-USA), No. 19 North Carolina (ACC) and No. 24 Louisville (BIG EAST).
Each team is limited to eight swimmers and one diver in the unique scoring format. DeSelm has designated the following entries for Carolina, which is coming off a split of its season-opening dual meets against No. 6 Texas A&M and South Carolina.
Sophomore Natalie Ritter (Diver); Redshirt junior Carly Smith, junior Katie Rechsteiner, senior Katie Nolan, sophomore Danielle Siverling, junior Cari Blalock, freshman Madison Burns, freshman Lauren Earp and junior Stephanie Peacock (Swimmers).
The SMU Classic showcases the strongest and most versatile swimmers of each program. Due to its design, competing teams must have a representative in each race, however, squads are limited to only eight swimmers and one diver for the entire meet. The SMU Classic provides a rare opportunity to witness high-level competition in the intimate setting of Perkins Natatorium, one of the last six-lane pools in the NCAA.
Opening ceremonies commence Friday at Perkins Natatorium at 6:15p.m. The meet begins at 6:30 p.m. both Friday and Saturday.
1. A swimmer may swim three events per day but one of those must be a relay.
2. Each team enters one swimmer per heat and the best swimmer must be in the championship heat.
3. The total squad can only be eight swimmers and one diver.
4. There is only one championship heat for relays.
5. The consolation heat will take place before the championship heat.
6. Lane positions will rotate after each event.
7. Scoring is as follows:
8. Diving events will consist of 6 optional dives on 1-meter and 3-meter boards.
Schedule of Events
400 Medley Relay
800 Freestyle Relay
200 Medley Relay
200 Freestyle Relay