Career Best Times: 52.20 in 100-yard backstroke; 1:53.08 in 200-yard backstroke; 53.19 in 100-yard butterfly; 2:01.18 in 200-yard butterfly; 2:04.79 in 200-yard individual medley; 4:20.69 in 400-yard individual medley.
Long Course Highlights: Excelled at the 2011 U.S. Nationals in California where she finished 13th in the 200-meter backstroke in 2:13.88 and 20th in the 100-meter backstroke in 1:02.96...had a tremendous performance at the 2010 U.S. Nationals...placed 15th in the 100-meter back in 1:02.50 and 16th in the 200-meter back in 2:15.42...swam a best time of 2:14.25 in the 200-meter backstroke at the 2009 U.S. Open which was just 0.39 seconds off the 26-year-old long course school record held by Sue Walsh...also went a best time in the 100-meter butterfly with a time of 1:02.89 at the 2009 U.S. Open.
2011-12: Medical red-shirt...named to Dean's List in spring semester 2012.
2010-11: First-team All-America selection...also made All-ACC Team for second year in a row...named the winner of the Jamerson Memorial Award as the team's Most Outstanding Swimmer...established school record in 100 and 200-yard backstroke events...was a member of UNC's 200 and 400 medley relay units which set school records her sophomore year...at the 2011 ACC Championships, she won a pair of individual conference championships...she won the 100-yard backstroke in 52.39 and claimed the 200-yard backstroke crown with a career best time of 1:53.08...she swam the backstroke leg on two ACC champion relay teams - the 200 medley and 400 medley relays...she also finished fourth in the 100 fly with a time of 53.19...went on to have a stellar NCAA meet as well...she was a championship finalist in the 100-yard backstroke, placing fifth in a career best 52.20 seconds and earning first-team All-America honors in the process...she swam on two medley relays which scored at NCAA Championships...led off the 200 medley relay which placed 11th and the 400 medley relay which copped 13th place...she swept both backstroke events in dual meets against Virginia, Clemson, Kentucky, Minnesota, Georgia and East Carolina... won the 2010 Nike Cup title in the 100 back with a time of 53.34.
2009-10: Was an honorable mention All-America in three events...placed 15th in the 200 back at NCAAs in 1:55.22 and was 11th in the 100 back with a clocking of 52.69...swam the leadoff leg on the 200 medley relay team that placed 10th at the NCAA Championships...All-ACC selection...finished in the Top 4 of three individual events at ACC meet...took second in the 100 back at 52.71, second in the 200 back at 1:53.14 and fourth in 100 fly at 53.82...swam the backstroke leg on two medley relays at ACC Championships that snared runner-up finishes.
Prep: Was a four-time 4-A high school state champion in the 100-yard backstroke...graduated from Chapel Hill High School on June 13, 2009...lettered in swimming at CHHS all four years and swam for the North Carolina Aquatic Club for 11 years...was the most valuable swimmer for her high school team for three years...rookie of the year her freshman season...team captain her senior year...named PAC-6 Swimmer of the Year in 2007...North Carolina state high school record holder in the 100-yard backstroke...was just the second person in North Carolina history to both break a state record in an event and win it all four years of high school...member of the 2007-08 4-A Chapel Hill High state championship team...high school All-America in the 100-yard backstroke, 100-yard butterfly, 500-yard freestyle and on 400-yard freestyle relay and 200-yard medley relay teams...member of the 2007-08 National Junior Team...had a 10th-place finish in the 100-meter backstroke at the 2005 Speedo Junior Nationals...national qualifier in the 100 and 200-yard backstrokes...2008 Olympic Trials qualifier...broke Southern Zone meet record in the 100-meter backstroke in 2004...state record holder in the 200-yard and 200-meter backstrokes.Personal: Carly Lauren Smith was born August 28, 1991 in Chapel Hill, N.C. ...daughter of Brian and Lynn Smith...has one sister...Global Studies major...her father played football and baseball at UNC.
20 Questions With Redshirt Junior Carly Smith
Section #1: Swimming & Diving
1. The best thing about being a Tar Heel swimmer is the intense rivalry with UVA.
2. My favorite thing about competing for Coach DeSelm is his quirky sense of humor.
3. Since last year the aspect of my training I've worked on the most is getting back into shape after my injury and developing my 200 IM.
4. My best friend on another college swimming team is Brady Fox, UVA.
5. My greatest strength as a swimmer is my mental toughness and my ability to set my goals high and fearlessly strive to achieve them.
Section #2: Hobbies & Interests
1. Away from the pool and academic pursuits I like to spend time with my friends and shop.
2. The best movies I've seen recently is: I don't really like to watch movies.
3. If I could compete in another sport at UNC it would be lacrosse.
4. The music act I'd most like to see in person is George Strait.
5. The personal interest I have that might surprise my teammates is that I'm really awesome at ceramics.
Section #3: Food & Beverage
1. After a big meet, I'd like to eat at a buffet spread that included chicken Parmesan and a good dessert.
2. My favorite beverage is Grape Kool-Aid.
3. My favorite food made by a relative is my Mom's pizza dip.
4. My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill is Topo or 411 West.
5. My favorite guilty pleasure food wise is any sort of snack like chips.
Section #4: Personality
1. If I possessed the gift of time travel I'd like to go to the 80s.
2. My most prized personal possession are my stuffed cows.
3. If I could go to dinner with a famous person it would be Nathan Adrian.
4. My dream job is working with TOMs shoes and helping underprivileged kids.
5. The most interesting person I've met at UNC is Katelyn Martin because she eats fries on her pizza and listens to the most lovable trance songs alone in her room.