Career Best Times: 23.32 in 50-yard freestyle; 49.75 in 100-yard freestyle; 1:49.18 in 200-yard freestyle; 54.42 in 100-yard backstroke; 52.92 in 100-yard butterfly; 1:58.28 in 200-yard butterfly; 2:01.73 in 200-yard individual medley.
Long Course Highlights: At the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, she finished 14th in the 200-meter butterfly preliminaries in a personal best and school record time of 2:12.16...at the 2012 U.S. Open, she finished 12th in the 200-meter butterfly and 14th in the 100-meter butterfly.
2012-13: Co-captain of Tar Heels with Stephanie Eisenring.
2011-12: Had nothing short of a spectacular junior year...swam the butterfly leg on UNC's 400-yard medley relay team that won the ACC championship...she split 52.71 on the butterfly leg of the relay that won in 3:35.71...also swam the fly leg on the 200-yard medley relay which finished second...was a finalist in three events at the ACC meet...placed fourth in the 200 fly (1:58.48), sixth in the 100 fly (53.91) and seventh in the 100 back (54.66)...third straight year as an All-ACC honoree...won honorable mention All-America honors for the third straight year as a member of UNC's 800-yard freestyle relay team...that relay placed 14th in the nation...had a spectacular dual meet season...won three events in victories over ECU, Maryland and NC State, two events each in wins over Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Clemson and single events in dual meets against Duke and Virginia...excelled at the 2011 Nike Cup Championships...won the 100 butterfly (53.70) and 100 backstroke (54.57) and took second in the 200 fly (1:58.26) and seventh in the 200 IM (2:02.76)...swam on 200 medley and 400 medley relay which took Nike Cup titles...swam on a 200 free relay and an 800 free relay which took third place and a 400 freestyle relay which was the Nike Cup runner-up...named to 2011-12 ACC Academic Honor Roll.
2010-11: Was a member of 200 freestyle, 200 medley and 400 medley relay teams which set school records in her sophomore year...swam on a pair of ACC champion relay teams...swam the butterfly leg on the 200 and 400 medley relay units which captured league crowns...earned honorable mention All-America honors on both of those relays as the 200 medley took 11th place and the 400 medley notched 13th place at the NCAA Championships...an All-ACC selection for the second straight year...scored in three individual events at the 2011 ACC Championships...was third in the 100 fly at 52.92, ninth in 100 back at 54.48 and 13th in the 100 freestyle at 50.34...won two individual events in dual meet win against NC State...was the 2010 Nike Cup champion in the 100 fly.
2009-10: Honorable mention All-America in two events...swam the second leg on the Tar Heels' 200 free relay which took 15th place...swam the butterfly leg on Carolina's 200 medley relay which placed 10th...also swam the 100 fly at NCAAs, finishing 24th...an All-ACC selection...placed second in the 100 fly at ACCs with a time of 52.93...also placed 10th in the 200 fly and 21st in the 50 free...swam the fourth leg on the 200 free relay which was third at ACCs...swam the butterfly leg of the 400 medley relay which took runner-up status at ACCs...won the 200 fly at the Gamecock Invitational in 2:02.50...named to 2009-10 ACC Academic Honor Roll...chosen for All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming Team.
Prep: Was ranked as one of the top recruits in the nation in the high school class of 2009... four-time high school state champion in the 100-yard butterfly...won 2008-09 Scholastic All-America honors from U.S. Swimming...graduated in June 2009 from Hershey High School ...played tennis for her first two years in high school and swam all four years...specialized in the 100-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly...was a member of the National Junior Team in 2007...a team captain in 2008... state champion in the 100-yard freestyle three straight years...member of the Pennsylvania high school state championship team in 2006...received the Culinary Arts Award...P.I.A.A. District III Academic Excellence/Sportsmanship Award winner...received distinguished honors all four years.Personal: Full name is Kathleen Marie Nolan...was born in Hershey, Pa., on August 21, 1991...daughter of James and Theresa Nolan...has one brother and two sisters...her brother is a sophomore swimmer at Stanford University...active member of Carolina Outreach program and Carolina Dreams...also active in Newman Center activities, particularly the Adopt-a-Student program...plays both the viola and the piano...journalism and mass communication major...a Carolina Leadership Academy Rising Star...stands 5-7 tall...worked as a Chocolate Lab Associate at Hershey Candies.
20 Questions With Senior Katie Nolan
Section #1: Swimming & Diving
1. The best thing about being a Tar Heel swimmer is the admiration people have for student-athletes.
2. My favorite thing about competing for Coach DeSelm is how excited he gets when we swim fast.
3. Since last year the aspect of my training I've worked on the most is endurance.
4. My best friend on another college swimming/diving team is David Nolan, Stanford.
5. My greatest strength as a swimmer is my eagerness to accept a challenge.
Section #2: Hobbies & Interests
1. Away from the pool and academic pursuits I like to spend time going to the Summit with my friends, checking out little coffee shops, reading.
2. The best movie I've seen recently is The Last Song.
3. If I could compete in another sport at UNC it would be rowing because I love being on the water/in nature.
4. The music act I'd most like to see in person is Darius Rucker.
5. The personal interest I have that might surprise my teammates is that I might continue swimming after I graduate.
Section #3: Food & Beverage
1. After a big meet, I'd like to eat at a buffet spread that included pesto tortellini with chicken and cream ice cream for dessert.
2. My favorite beverage is Dr. Pepper.
3. My favorite food made by a relative is my mom's pasta primavera.
4. My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill is Cinco de Mayo.
5. My favorite guilty pleasure food wise is cookies and cream milkshakes.
Section #4: Personality
1. If I possessed the gift of time travel I'd like to go to Jerusalem when Jesus was alive or the day I read the first Harry Potter book so I would have another six books to look forward to.
2. My most prized personal possession is my journal.
3. If I could go to dinner with a famous person it would be FDR.
4. My dream job is to be a professional chef in Italy or to train puppies as seeing-eye dogs.
5. The most interesting person I've met at UNC is Dean Smith, the J-school professor.