Career Best Times: 54.71 in 100-yard backstroke; 1:55.70 in 200-yard backstroke; 1:59.35 in 200-yard individual medley; 24.09 in 50-yard freestyle; 51.75 in 100-yard freestyle; 1:51.18 in 200-yard freestyle.
2011-12: At 2011 ACC Championships, she finished 15th in the 200 IM (2:02.08), was 13th in the 100 backstroke (55.32) and 11th in the 200 back (1:57.62)...named to 2011-12 ACC Academic Honor Roll...awarded with Dean's List accolades in spring semester 2012...named a 2012 College Swimming Coaches Association of America Scholar All-America honorable mention...won 200 backstroke in dual meet wins over ECU and Virginia Tech...had an excellent 2011 Nike Cup Championships...individually she was second in the 100 back (55.45), fourth in the 200 back (1:59.30), seventh in the 100 breast (55.45) and 11th in the 200 IM (2:03.17)...she also swam on five relays, including a 400 free relay and 400 medley relay which took second spots and an 800 free relay which copped third place.
2010-11: Named to Dean's List in both semesters of sophomore year...earned membership on ACC Academic Honor Roll...tapped for College Swimming Coaches Association of America Women's Scholar All-America honorable mention team...scored in three events at the 2011 ACC Championships...was fifth in the 200 back (1:56.23), ninth in the 200 IM (1:59.35) and 12th in the 100 back (54.92).
2009-10: Had three Top 12 finishes at the ACC Championships...took seventh place in the 200 back, eighth place in the 200 IM and 12th place in the 100 back...won the 200 back in the dual meet versus Georgia Tech...named to 2009-10 ACC Academic Honor Roll...tapped for the spring 2010 Dean's List.
Prep: Graduated from Rochester Adams High School in June 2009...was a member of her high school swim team for two years...also excelled in club swimming...member of the Washington Township Recreation Sharks club team for two years and the Oakland Live Y'ers club team for two years...qualified for the 2008 Olympic Trials...Junior Nationals finalist...placed second in the 100-yard backstroke as a freshman at high school state championships while leading her team to a third-place finish...member of National Honor Society...attended Centerville High School in Centerville, Ohio before transferring to Rochester Adams.Personal: Given name Rebecca Jane Brooks...born August 12, 1991 in Detroit, Mich. ...daughter of Dan and Sonya Brooks...has one brother...business administration major...her mother played basketball at SUNY Binghamton... a Rising Star in the Carolina Leadership Academy...stands 6-1 tall...family lived in Mexico for two years in 2000-01....her father attended graduate school at Lehigh University.
19 Questions With Senior Rebecca Brooks
Section #1: Swimming & Diving
1. The best thing about being a Tar Heel swimmer is being a part of an amazing tradition and the people I'm around everyday.
2. My favorite thing about competing for Coach DeSelm is his quirky sense of humor.
3. Since last year the aspect of my training I've worked on the most is everything.
4. My best friend on another college swimming team is Eva Lehtonen at FGSU.
5. My greatest strength as a swimmer is my competitive drive.
Section #2: Hobbies & Interests
1. Away from the pool and academics, I like to spend time with friends, watching Friends.
2. The best movie I've seen recently is Hunger Games.
3. If I could compete in another sport at UNC it would be volleyball.
4. The music act I'd most like to see in person is The Goo Goo Dolls.
5. The personal interest I have that might surprise my teammates is that I love to do puzzles.
Section #3: Food & Beverage
1. After a big meet, I'd like to eat at a buffet spread that included lasagna and all kinds of Mexican food.
2. My favorite beverage is Cran-apple juice.
4. My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill is Los Pos.
5. My favorite guilty pleasure food wise is nachos.
Section #4: Personality
1. If I possessed the gift of time travel I would go to the 1950s.
2. My most prized personal possession is my bed.
2. If I could go to dinner with a famous person it would be Will Smith.
3. My dream job is working for the FBI.
4. The most interesting person I've met at UNC is Professor Chip Snively.
|Position:||Backstroke, Individual Medley|
|Hometown:||Rochester Hills, Mich.|
|High School:||Rochester Adams|
|Club:||Oakland Live Y'ers|
|Club Coach:||Jeff Cooper|