Verneri Valimaa sent a shot off the post in UNC's 1-0 defeat at Maryland.
Verneri Valimaa sent a shot off the post in UNC's 1-0 defeat at Maryland.
View larger
No. 2 Tar Heels Fall At No. 1 Maryland
Release: 10/19/2012

COLLEGE PARK, MD. -- No. 2 North Carolina allowed its first goal in nearly 500 minutes of action Friday in College Park, Md. as No. 1 Maryland used a goal from Schillo Tshuma in the first overtime period to win, 1-0.

Patrick Mullins made a run down the left flank in the 98th minute and entered the box before firing a shot on target. The shot was deflected by Tshuma into the back of the goal.

Carolina had controlled the momentum from late in regulation into the overtime period.

The Tar Heels had a chance to put away the match in the final minute of play when Rob Lovejoy was dragged down in the box giving UNC a penalty chance.

Lovejoy took to the spot and fired a waist-high shot to the left side of the goal. Maryland's Keith Cardona guessed correctly and made the save. The rebound kicked out to the left side of the box and a waiting Verneri Valimaa who sent a shot on target that Cardona saved as well.

The chance for Valimaa was his second of the half after connecting on a strike in the 63rd minute.

Valimaa sent a shot in from distance that Cardona could not get to but the ball connected with the right post and bounced clear.

The first half saw Maryland attack the Tar Heel backline in the early going as the Terps tallied five shots in the opening 15 minutes.

Goalkeeper Scott Goodwin recorded three saves during the first 45 minutes, including a pair in the 15th minute.

Maryland's Patrick Mullins took a shot from the top of the box that Goodwin saved before the ensuing rebound was fired on target by John Stertzer whose effort was blocked.

Mullins gathered the second rebound and took another attempt to put Maryland ahead but Goodwin was there to punch the ball away to end the scurry.

After surviving the opening burst from the Terrapins, Carolina was able to link up several passes and mount an attack of its own.

Late in the first half Rob Lovejoy tracked down a ball on the left side of the box and placed a perfect backheel pass to Martin Murphy. The senior forward unleashed a shot from just inside the box that was blocked out for a throw.

Freshman Danny Garcia caused havoc in the final 10 minutes of the half when he forced a turnover in the Maryland end and entered the box before being dispossessed. Garcia was tripped up in the box and was looking for a penalty that would go uncalled.

The overtime session saw the Tar Heels control the tempo in the early portion and nearly find the game winner in the 93rd minute. Lopez attacked from the left side and sent a shot toward goal that was redirected by Craven eight yards from the goal line.

Craven's effort would find the left post and out for a goal kick. The Tar Heels continued to search for the go-ahead goal before the Terps countered and found the winner in the 98th minute.

The goal snapped a goalless streak of 491 minutes held by Goodwin and the Tar Heels and put Carolina on the losing side of an ACC match for the first time since Sept. 10, 2011 - a span of 15 straight matches.

Goodwin made a season-high eight saves on the night before surrendering just his fourth goal of the season.

Carolina will look to bounce back on Tuesday when it hosts in-state foe Campbell in a 7 p.m. match at Fetzer Field.

UNC North Carolina Men's Soccer

NCEMC Touchstone Ad 2016