Play Video
Jordan Gafa delivered the game winner in the 92nd minute Friday night at Duke.
Jordan Gafa delivered the game winner in the 92nd minute Friday night at Duke.
View larger
Gafa's Golazo Beats Duke
Release: 09/28/2012

DURHAM, N.C. -- No. 6 North Carolina (7-1-1, 3-0-1 ACC) scored two goals in 5:11 to claim a 2-1 overtime win at Duke (3-5-1, 1-2-1 ACC) Friday night.

Staring at possibly their second loss of the season with less than five minutes on the clock, senior Cameron Brown came through with his first goal since 2009.

Carolina held a two-man advantage over Duke thanks to a pair of double yellows in the second half and were pressing forward in search of the equalizer.

Brown dribbled at the Duke backline in the 87th minute before unleashing a shot from more than 20 yards out. Brown's effort slid through the Duke defense forcing goalkeeper James Belshaw to dive to his left and keep it out of the back of the net. The ball skipped off of Belshaw's hands and slowly rolled across the goal line to even the score at 1-1.

Less than two minutes into the first overtime period the Tar Heels closed out the comeback thanks to a tremendous effort from Jordan Gafa.

The senior settled a ball on the right wing and dribbled to his left entering the corner of the box before unleashing a left-footed shot. Gafa's attempt sailed over the out-stretched fist of Belshaw and into the upper left 90 to give Carolina a 2-1 win.

After inclement weather delayed the start of the match for an hour, the Tar Heels came out pushing the pace and nearly took a one goal lead in the 12th minute.

Freshman Danny Garcia unleashed a shot from 25 yards out that found the left post and ricocheted out of bounds for a throw in.

Carolina held a 5-3 shot advantage at the intermission and controlled possession for the majority of the 45 minutes.

The Tar Heels came out firing in the second half as Cameron Brown attempted a shot from distance that was saved before Martin Murphy sent the rebound over the bar.

Duke tallied one shot in the second 45, but it was an effective one as it found the back of the net. The Blue Devils played a long ball from beyond midfield that was headed down.

Riley Wolfe tracked down the free ball and hit a shot into the upper right corner of the goal past a diving Scott Goodwin to snap Carolina's shutout streak at 363 minutes.

The Tar Heels continued to control the tempo of the match and went a man up in the 74th minute when Chase Keeling was shown his second yellow card of the night.

Duke's Ryan Thompson joined Keeling on the sidelines as he earned his second yellow card of the night as well in the 82nd minute to give Carolina a two-man advantage.

Brown then tallied for the first time since Oct. 17, 2009 after missing the 2010 and 2011 seasons due to injury.

Carolina improved to 2-0-1 in overtime matches this season and the Tar Heels posted an overtime winner in two consecutive matches for the first time since the 2011 NCAA Tournament.

The Tar Heels outshot Duke, 14-4, on the evening as they claimed their third straight win and are undefeated in four straight.

Up next for Carolina is a visit from Georgia Southern on Tuesday, Oct. 2 for a 7 p.m. tilt.

UNC North Carolina Men's Soccer

NCEMC Touchstone Ad 2016