Play Video
Scott Goodwin registered four saves in his 28th career shutout.
Scott Goodwin registered four saves in his 28th career shutout.
View larger
UNC And Wake Forest Draw, 0-0
Release: 09/14/2012

North Carolina (4-1-1, 1-0-1 ACC) and Wake Forest (3-1-2, 0-0-2 ACC) battled to a 0-0 draw Friday night at Fetzer Field as Scott Goodwin recorded his 28th career shutout.

Goodwin faced four shots on target on the night and was able to keep Wake Forest off the scoreboard and extend Carolina's home unbeaten streak to 31 matches, the fifth-longest in NCAA history.

Carolina was unable to break into the scoring column either as the majority of the match was a back-and-forth affair in the midfield between the highly-possessive teams.

The Tar Heels managed 10 shots on the night and were able to put five on frame but last-second defending by the Demon Deacons kept the match scoreless.

The best opportunity of the night for either side came in the 51st minute. Verneri Valimaa made a tremendous individual run down the left flank and entered the 18-yard box near the touch line. 

Valimaa sent a cross through the box that Wake Forest goalkeeper Michael Lisch was unable to get a hand on. Jordan Gafa was on the receiving end of the cross but the senior was unable to settle a bouncing ball and his shot sailed wide of the target.

Less than five minutes later it was another defender, Jonathan Cambpell, who nearly put Carolina in front. Danny Garcia sent a cross into the middle of the box and Campbell connected on a header sending it near post.

A Wake Forest defender was waiting and cleared it off the line. A deflection nearly found its way into the goal but another goal line clearance by the Demon Deacons kept the scoreboard clean.

Late in regulation Wake Forest earned a free kick in a dangerous area. With just seven seconds remaining on the clock, Wake Forest's Ross Tomaselli stepped up to a free kick four yards outside the 18-yard box on the left flank.

Tomaselli sent a bending ball into the box and forced Goodwin to punch the shot over the crossbar as time expired in regulation.

Wake Forest tallied the only three shots of the first overtime period but were unable to truly test Goodwin and the Tar Heel defense.

A shotless second overtime period would cap off 110 minutes of scoreless soccer at Fetzer Field.

The 0-0 draw is the first for the Tar Heels since a 0-0 draw against Georgetown in the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2010.

The shutout is the third of the year for the Tar Heel defense and Scott Goodwin is now just a half shutout behind Michael Ueltschey's (1998-2001) school record of 28.5

Up next for the Tar Heels is a visit from Davidson for a 7 p.m. contest Tuesday, Sept. 18.

UNC North Carolina Men's Soccer

NCEMC Touchstone Ad 2016