General: Returning starter in the attack unit for Carolina...was one of the top freshman attackmen in the nation in 2012...a member of UNC Student-Athlete Advisory Council and Carolina Leadership Academy.
2012 (Freshman): Honorable mention All-America selection...named to 2011-12 ACC Academic Honor Roll...copped honors as member of All-ACC Tournament Team...Carolina's third-leading scorer with 41 points...ranked second on the team in goals scored with 27 and was third in assists with 14...his 27 goals were the most by a Tar Heel freshman since 1973...also was credited with 21 ground balls...shared the Jay Gallagher Award as UNC's outstanding freshman with Joey Sankey and Chad Tutton...as a freshman he had 10 multi-goal games, four multi-assist games and 13 multi-point games...had two or more points in nine of last 10 games of the season...moved into the starting lineup against Duke on March 16 and started the last 10 games of the campaign...had best game of his freshman year against Hofstra with season high for goals (4), assists (3), points (7) and ground balls (4)...opened his career with three goals in win over Penn State...had four points versus Mercer (2g, 2a)...scored three goals on just six shots in 13-9 upset of No. 1 Johns Hopkins at the Meadowlands.
Prep: A graduate of the Deerfield Academy in Deerfield, Mass., where he was coached by Chip Davis...a 2011 high school All-America...played in the National Under Armour All-America Game on July 2, 2011...as a senior, he led Deerfield in scoring with 75 points on 52 goals and 23 assists...was hurt much of his junior year but had 15 goals and 16 assists...had a dynamic sophomore year with 20 goals and 31 assists...won the Stephen Lindsay Award as the most valuable attackman in Western New England Division I in 2011, a feat also accomplished by his brother Billy in 2007...the captain of the Deerfield team as a senior...was a three-time All-New England selection and the team's leading scorer as both a sophomore and senior...Deerfield lost only two games in his career, winning the Western New England title his sophomore campaign, playing on a DA team which tied the school record for wins in a season with 16 in 2010 and leading another WNE title team in 2011 that finished 15-0...honored on the FCA National Team and the Long Island Under Armour Team...was an honor roll student at DA...played forward and midfield for DA soccer team...was captain of soccer team which made New England playoffs...was captain of DA basketball team as a point guard...voted co-MVP of hoops squad.Personal: James Joseph Bitter is the son of Ward and Nancy Bitter...becomes the second member of his family to play for the Tar Heels, succeeding his brother Billy, who graduated from UNC in 2011...Jimmy is the youngest of the six Bitter siblings and grew up in Manhasset, N.Y., but now lives in Stowe, Vt. ...undeclared major...was born January 2, 1992 in Manhasset, N.Y. ...his father, Ward, was an All-America lacrosse player at Boston College where his sisters Kristen and Megan also played...besides Billy, who is now with the Rochester team in the MLL, his other brothers played collegiately at Williams (Ward) and the U.S. Naval Academy (Matt)...his family owns the company Bitter Lacrosse.
Getting To Know Jimmy Bitter
1. The best thing about being a Tar Heel lacrosse player is having fun.
2. The favorite thing about playing for Coach Breschi is his enthusiasm.
3. Since last year the aspect of my game I've worked on the most is passing.
4. My best friend on a college lacrosse team is Davey Emala (both Georgetown and UNC versions).
5. My greatest strength as a lacrosse player is my energy.
6. Best lacrosse trip movie ever is Dumb and Dumber.
7. My best sport other than lacrosse is skiing.
8. My favorite musical act is Taylor Swift.
9. The player on the team who makes me laugh the most is Jesse.
10. My teammates would be surprised to know that one of my hobbies is cleaning.
11. My dream vacation spot is Antigua.
12. My favorite tailgate food is chicken parm.
13. The beverage that most quenches my thirst is orange Gatorade.
14. My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill is Sutton's.
15. My favorite food made by a relative is brown rice by Fancy.
16. My dream job is interior designer (just like MC).
17. My favorite class at UNC is STOR 155.
18. Celebrity I'd most like to hang out with is Christiano Ronaldo.
19. My most cherished childhood possession was my laptop.
20. The most interesting person I've met at Carolina is The Meister.
Jimmy Bitter's Stat Lines
Year GP/GS SH G A PTS GB CT
2012 17/10 82 27 14 41 21 4
Totals 17/10 82 27 14 41 21 4
In His Career: 10 multi-goal games (10 in 2012); 4 multi-assist games (4 in 2012); 13 multi-point games (13 in 2012).
Career Highs: Shots: 11 vs. Virginia, 4-7-2012; Goals: 4 vs. Hofstra, 4-14-2012; Assists: 3 vs. Hofstra, 4-14-2012; Points: 7 vs. Hofstra, 4-14-2012; Ground Balls: 4 vs. Hofstra, 4-14-2012; 4 vs. Duke, 4-22-2012; Caused Turnovers: 2 vs. Denver, 5-12-2012.