General: 2012 Face-off Yearbook preseason first-team All-America and All-ACC selection...will return to the team in the spring after fracturing his foot on November 14, 2011 and having surgery four days later...a sturdily built 6-0, 195 attackman.
2011 (Freshman): Won the Jay Gallagher Award as the team's outstanding freshman...Inside Lacrosse first-team All-Freshman selection...2011 USILA third-team All-America selection...chosen All-ACC as well as the ACC Freshman of the Year...set school records for a freshman for points in a season with 56, assists in a season with 32 and assists in a game with five...his 32 assists were the most by a UNC player since 1996...was twice named the ACC Offensive Player of the Week, with the accolades coming on February 14 and March 28 after wins over Robert Morris and Maryland, respectively...led the Tar Heels last season in points with 56 and assists with 32...was second on the team in goals scored with 24...also had 20 ground balls and scored three man-up goals...started all 16 games and had at least two or more points in 14 of them...was shut out in the point column only once...opened his career with four goals and one assist against Robert Morris...had his second five-point game with two goals and three assists against UMBC...matched those numbers in a 12-7 win over Dartmouth...had a breakout game when he rung up seven points in an 11-6 win at Maryland helping the Tar Heels to their first win in College Park in eight years...had two goals and a school freshman record five assists in that game...had a second seven-point effort at Lehigh with four goals and three assists...ended the regular season with a two-goal, one-assist outing in overtime win over Notre Dame...also had three-point performances versus Ohio State, Navy, Penn, Princeton and Virginia...had two goals, two assists and three ground balls versus Presbyterian...also had three grounders versus Navy and UMBC.
Prep: The No. 1-ranked high school recruit in the Class of 2010 by Inside Lacrosse Magazine...was the No. 1-ranked recruit since the 10th grade... was featured on cover of September 2010 issue of Inside Lacrosse Magazine...a 2010 Under Armour All-America selection...was an attackman at West Islip High School for coach Scott Craig...starting playing varsity lacrosse in the eighth grade...named No. 1 Young Gun Rising Senior by Inside Lacrosse...three-time high school All-America...Newsday Long Island Player of the Year...two-time Empire State Games Team member...MSG Player of the Year honoree...named MVP of state championship game twice...as a senior he had a goal and seven assists in the state title game as West Islip claimed the crown...all-time leading scorer at West Islip...three-time West Islip MVP...holds school records for points in a season with 136, goals in a season with 72 and goals in a game with 11...also holds team's record for most points in a game...totaled an astonishing 500 points in his high school career, making him the all-time leading scorer in Long Island history...member of four New York State, Long Island and county championship teams at West Islip...led West Islip to 2007 national No. 1 ranking...in 2009, his high school team was first to ever be featured on cover of Inside Lacrosse Magazine...led Long Island Empire State Games team to gold medal...captain of West Islip team as a senior...honor roll student three times.
Personal: Nicholas John Galasso is the son of Daniel and late Cindy Galasso...was born December 5, 1991 in West Islip, N.Y. ...has four older brothers...communication studies major.
LET'S PLAY 20 QUESTIONS WITH...Nicky Galasso
Section #1 (Lacrosse Related)
1. The best thing about being a Tar Heel lacrosse player is joining a family.
2. My favorite thing about competing for Coach Breschi is his intensity for the program.
3. Since last year the aspect of my training I've worked on the most is dodging to score.
4. My best friend on another college lacrosse team is Joey Finnegan.
5. My greatest strength as a lacrosse player is vision.
Section #2 (Nicky's Interests)
1. Away from the lacrosse field and academic pursuits I like to spend time hanging with friends.
2. The best movie I've seen recently is The Town.
3. If I could compete in another sport at UNC it would be basketball.
Section #3 (Food and Beverage)
1. After a game at Fetzer Field, I'd like to see a tailgate spread that included pizza, chicken cutlets, thumbs and toes from Top of the Hill, Buffalo wings and Slurpees.
2. My favorite beverage is a Slurpee.
3. My favorite food made by a relative is chicken cutlets with brown gravy and mozzarella cheese.
4. My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill is Top of the Hill.
Section #4 (Digging Into Nicky's Personality)
1. If I possessed the gift of time travel I'd like to go to the 80s to dance to their music.
2. My most prized personal possession is my mom's pillow from when she was in the hospital.
3. If I could go to dinner with a famous person it would be Mila Kunis.
4. My dream job is dentistry.
5. The most interesting person I've met at UNC is Connor Hunt.
Nicky Galasso's Stat Lines
In His Career: 8 multi-goal games (8 in 2011); 10 multi-assist games (10 in 2011); 16 multi-point games (14 in 2011, 2 in 2012).
Career Highs: Goals: 4 vs. Robert Morris, 2-12-2011; 4 vs. Lehigh, 4-17-2011; Assists: 5 vs. Maryland, 3-26-2011; Points: 7 vs. Maryland, 3-26-2011; 7 vs. Lehigh, 4-17-2011; Ground Balls: 3 vs. Navy, 2-25-2011; 3 vs. UMBC, 3-5-2011; 3 vs. Presbyterian, 4-14-2011.
|Other Position:||One-Year Letterman|
|Hometown:||West Islip, N.Y.|
|High School:||West Islip|