UNC Scoring Leader: Justin Jackson 26
UNC Rebound Leader: Kennedy Meeks 14
UNC Assist Leader: Joel Berry, Justin Jackson 4
Points Per Possession: Carolina 1.08 (91 points on 84 possessions), Virginia Tech 1.06 (72 points on 68 possessions)
• The Tar Heels are now 19-3 overall, 7-1 in the ACC and 11-0 at home this season.
• Scored 85 or more points for the seventh consecutive ACC game. UNC had never done that in more than five straight ACC games in its history prior to this stretch.
• Came into the game No. 1 in the nation in rebounding (45.9 per), offensive rebounds (16.5 per) and rebound margin (+14.2). The Tar Heels out-rebounded the Hokies, 43-22 (+21) and grabbed 19 offensive boards.
• Grabbed 19 offensive rebounds; the Hokies had 18 defensive rebounds.
• Scored 20 second-chance points, the 12th time this year and the sixth time in the last seven games UNC scored at least 20
• Made a season-high 14 three-pointers in a season-high 30 three-point attempts.
• It’s the most three-pointers since UNC made 15 against Mississippi State in Maui on 11/19/2012.
• It’s the first time UNC has attempted 30 three-pointers in a game since it shot 31 against East Tennessee State on 12/8/2012.
• Made 46.7 percent from three-point range, tying the third-highest percentage this year (.529 vs. Kentucky, .471 vs. Oklahoma State and .467 vs. Chattanooga).
• It’s the highest percentage in the dozen games this year in which UNC attempted at least 20 three-pointers.
• It was the 12th time UNC shot 40 percent or better from three-point range; UNC is 11-1 in those games.
• Handed out 25 assists, most since a season-high 26 against Chattanooga in the second game of the season.
• Turned the ball over only seven times, fewest in an ACC game this year and fewest since UNC had five against Northern Iowa on 12/28/2016.
• Shot 61.3 percent in the second half, its highest percentage from the floor in an ACC half this year. It’s the fifth time this year UNC shot 60 percent from the floor in a half.
• Converted only five of nine free throws -- season lows in both categories.
• Virginia Tech shot 51 percent from the floor. They are the third team (first ACC opponent) to shoot 50 or better this year against UNC (.519 by Tennessee and .541 by Kentucky).
• Carolina is 7-1 in the ACC. This is the sixth time in 14 seasons under Roy Williams the Tar Heels are 7-1 or better in their first eight ACC games.
Tar Heel Player Notes
• Justin Jackson led UNC in scoring for the 10th time this year with 26 points, his 10th 20-point game of the season (and his fifth 25-point game).
• Jackson tied his career high with 10 made field goals (Kentucky) and 20 field goal attempts (Clemson).
• It was the fifth time this year Jackson has scored 20 or more points without a turnover. He also had four assists.
• Jackson made five three-pointers, the fourth time this year he’s made at least five threes in a game.
• Joel Berry II also made five threes and had 15 points and four assists. He also did not have a turnover.
• Berry and Jackson combined for 41 points, 10 three-pointers, eight assists and zero turnovers.
• It was the first time in Berry and Jackson’s career they both made at least five threes in a game.
• Kennedy Meeks posted his eighth double-double of the season (20th career) with 15 points and 14 rebounds. He had seven
offensive rebounds (came into the game sixth in the country with 3.9 per game).
• Theo Pinson rolled his right ankle coming down with a rebound midway through the first half. He left the game a few moments later and did not return. He was held out of the rest of the game as a precaution.
Roy Williams Notes
• 802-212 in 29 seasons
• 384-111 in 14 seasons at Carolina
• 162-62 in ACC regular-season games
• 398-44 at home (both Kansas and UNC), including 195-27 at Carolina in home games
• Carolina is now 125-4 under Williams when the Tar Heels score 90 or more points.
• Carolina leads the series, 67-13, including 14-3 since the Hokies joined the ACC.
• UNC has won seven straight and 12 of the last 13 against Virginia Tech.
• Roy Williams is 14-3 against Virginia Tech.
Next Game: at Miami, Saturday, 1/28 (1 p.m., CBS)