CAROLINA (102), MONMOUTH (74)
DECEMBER 28, 2016
UNC Scoring Leader: Justin Jackson 28
UNC Rebound Leader: Kennedy Meeks 12
UNC Assist Leader: Justin Jackson, Joel Berry 5
• The Tar Heels are 12-2 overall and 7-0 at the Smith Center this season.
• Carolina scored 100-plus points for the fourth time in 14 games this year. That’s the most 100-point games in a
season since UNC had four in 2011-12 (the fourth time that year was also a 102-point effort vs. Monmouth).
• Carolina committed a season-high 17 turnovers that led to 19 Monmouth points (Hawai’i scored 20 off UNC turnovers).
• Carolina grabbed a season-high 57 rebounds. It was the fifth time this year with 50 or more rebounds.
• Carolina made a season-high 33 free throws in a season-high 46 attempts. It was the most made free throws by UNC since it made 34 against Davidson on 12/21/13.
• The two teams combined for 52 fouls (27 on Monmouth, 25 on UNC) and 72 free throw attempts. It was a season high for fouls both by UNC and by an opponent.
• Carolina held the Hawks to 28.1 percent shooting from the floor in the second half and 32.9 percent for the game. It was the fifth time this year UNC held an opponent under 30 percent shooting for a half and the ninth time the opponents shot under 40 percent for the game.
• This was the fifth time in Roy Williams’ 14 years the Tar Heels won at least 12 non-conference games before the start of the ACC schedule (14-0 in 2007-08, 13-0 in 2008-09, 13-1 in 2006-07 and 13-2 in 2011-12).
• Carolina is 193-15 against non-conference teams in the Smith Center, including 105-4 under Roy Williams.
Tar Heel Player Notes
• Junior forward Justin Jackson led all scorers with 28 points. He has scored 27 or more points in three of the last five games (27 vs. Davidson, 34 vs. Kentucky and 28 vs. Monmouth) and four times this season (also 27 vs. Tulane). It was his sixth 20-point game this year.
• Jackson made six three-pointers in nine attempts. He leads UNC with 33 three-pointers this year (made 35 in 40 games last year and 28 in 38 games as a freshman).
• Jackson made four three-pointers in a game once in his first two seasons (78 games). He has made at least four in five of the first 14 games this season, including seven vs. Davidson and six vs. Monmouth.
• Jackson also had five rebounds and five assists.
• Kennedy Meeks posted his fourth double-double of the season and 16th of his career with 17 points and a game-high 12 rebounds.
• Meeks became the 20th Tar Heel in history with 800 or more rebounds. His 12 tonight give him 803 for his career.
• Kenny Williams had a career-high seven rebounds and matched his career best with four offensive rebounds.
• Isaiah Hicks had 15 points and a season-high nine rebounds. It was his highest point total since he had 22 against Chaminade and his best rebound total since he had 15 vs. Notre Dame in the 2016 ACC Tournament semifinals.
• Joel Berry II did not make a field goal for the first time since the last regular-season game of his freshman season. Berry did not practice on Tuesday due to a stomach bug and received a pair of IVs earlier today.
• Tony Bradley had five offensive rebounds and a season-high three blocks. It was the fifth time this year he had at least five offensive rebounds.
Head Coach Roy Williams Notes
• 795-211 overall and 377-110 at Carolina.
• Needs five wins for 800 career victories.
• The Tar Heels lead, 2-0.
Next Game: Saturday, December 31, at Georgia Tech (Noon, ACC Network)