CAROLINA (85), NORTHERN IOWA (42)
DECEMBER 21, 2016
UNC Scoring Leader: Kennedy Meeks 18
UNC Rebound Leader: Kennedy Meeks 8
UNC Assist Leader: Kenny Williams 5
Points Per Possession:
UNC 85 points on 78 possessions: 1.09
Northern Iowa 42 points on 69 possessions: 0.61
• Carolina is 11-2 overall and 6-0 at the Smith Center this season.
• The Tar Heels held the Panthers to 42 points, which equals the fewest allowed by a Roy Williams-coached team at North Carolina. UNC also allowed 42 points by NC Central on 11/11/2009.
• Carolina scored 1.3 points per possession in the second half, the highest figure in any half this year, and allowed just 0.46 points per possession by UNI, the lowest in a half by the opponents this season.
• Carolina shot 61.8 percent from the floor in the second half, including 6 for 11 from three-point range. The Tar Heels were just 1 for 8 from beyond the arc in the opening half. It was the fourth time UNC has shot 60 percent in a half this year and the first since the second half vs. Wisconsin.
• All four of UNC’s 60-percent shooting efforts from the floor for a half have come in the second half.
• Carolina shot 52.3 percent from the floor for the game, the second time in as many games and the sixth time ths year it shot better than 50 percent from the floor for a game.
• The Tar Heels out-scored the Panthers by 36 points in the second half (52-16), the largest point margin in any half this year (previous was 53-24 in the second half vs. Chattanooga).
• UNI’s 16 field goals were the fewest allowed by the Tar Heels this year (previous 19 by Radford).
• UNI’s three offensive rebounds were the fewest by the opponents this year (previous four by Wisconsin).
• Carolina committed only five turnovers, a season low and the fewest since it committed four against Wisconsin in the 2015 NCAA Sweet 16.
• The Panthers scored three points off UNC turnovers, the fewest points off turnovers against the Tar Heels this year (previous five by Radford).
• Carolina scored 52 points in the paint, 10 more UNI scored for the game.
• UNI came into the game averaging 10.1 three-pointers per game and made five in the first half, but UNC held the Panthers to 1 of 15 shooting from beyond the arc in the second half.
• Carolina is 192-15 in the Smith Center vs. non-ACC opponents.
Tar Heel Player Notes
• Kennedy Meeks led UNC with 18 points and eight rebounds. It is the first time this season and 14th time in his career he led the Tar Heels in scoring.
• Meeks tied his season high with six made free throws.
• Kenny Williams tied his career high with five assists for the second time in as many games and also had no turnovers for the second straight game.
• Justin Jackson scored in double figures (12) for the team-leading 12th time in 13 games.
• Joel Berry II was 3 for 7 from three-point range. It was the second straight game he made three 3FGs and the fourth time he made at least three 3FGs this season.
• Berry scored hia 800th career pint (has 805).
• Nate Britt had four steals (never had more than three in his first 121 games; had five vs. Tennessee and four tonight).
Head Coach Roy Williams Notes
• 794-211 in 29 years, 376-110 at Carolina in 14 years
• 104-4 at the Smith Center against non-conference opponents
• Tied 1-1
Next Game: Wednesday, December 28 vs. Monmouth at 7 p.m., Smith Center, Chapel Hill. This will be UNC’s final regular-season non-conference game.