North Carolina 79, Providence 77
NCAA Tournament Second Round
San Antonio, Texas
- • Carolina is now 24-9 this year and 110-42 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
- • UNC's 110 wins in the NCAA Tournament are the second most in college basketball history.
- • Roy Williams has now won a game in the NCAA Tournament in each of the 24 seasons in which his teams have played in the Tournament.
- • The Tar Heels are now 1-2 in San Antonio in the NCAA Tournament (1-0 in the AT&T Center).
- • This is UNC's second straight win by two points. Its previous win was a 63-61 decision over Notre Dame on March 3rd in Chapel Hill.
- • The two-point victory is Carolina's smallest margin in an NCAA Tournament (win or loss) since beating Villanova, 67-66, on March 25, 2005 in Syracuse in the regional semifinals. The Tar Heels are now 3-2 in the NCAA Tournament as a #6 seed and 5-1 against #11 seeds.
- • Carolina had a 26-13 edge in second chance points. That comes after being out-scored 41-16 combined by Duke and Pitt in the previous two games (20-10 by Duke and 21-6 by Pitt).
- • The Tar Heels had 21 offensive rebounds tonight (had 17 in the previous two games), its highest production on the offensive glass since grabbing 22 against NC State on Feb. 1st.
- • Marcus Paige led the Tar Heels in scoring with 19 points, the 13th time this season he has led the Tar Heels in scoring (did not lead UNC in scoring as a freshman in any game). It is the third straight game that Paige has led UNC in scoring.
- • Tonight was the 19th game this season in which Paige scored in double figures in the second half after not scoring in double figures in the opening half. Tonight he had seven in the first and 12 in the second, including a pair of three-pointer that tied the score at 71-71 with 3:01 to play and 77-77 with 1:06 remaining.
- • Kennedy Meeks had 12 points and five rebounds (four offensive). He was 6 for 8 from the floor. It was his first scoring game in double figures since he had 15 against Wake Forest six games ago on Feb. 22nd. Meeks had eight points combined in the previous four games - he had eight tonight in the first half.
- • James Michael McAdoo had 16 points and 10 rebounds, including a huge offensive rebound off his own missed free throw with 1.7 seconds to play. He had made the first free throw of that sequence with 3.5 seconds to play to give Carolina a 78-77 lead. Those free throws came after another offensive rebound.
- • McAdoo had five offensive rebounds tonight including the two in the last four seconds - he had three in Carolina's previous four games.
- • The double-double was McAdoo's seventh this year and the 16th of his career. It was his first in an NCAA Tournament game.
- • Brice Johnson had 16 points, eight rebounds and four blocked shots. It was his 19th double-figure scoring game this year and the second straight game in which he has scored 16 points. He has 47 points in the last three games (15.7) and is 22 of 29 from the floor in those three games.
- • Johnson's four blocks give him a team-high 43 for the season. They are the most in a game since he had five against Pitt on Feb. 15th. The four blocked shots tie the sixth-most in an NCAA Tournament game by a Tar Heel.
- • J.P. Tokoto tied his career high with six assists (also had six against Boston College and Maryland this year).
- • Roy Williams is 63-21 in the NCAA Tournament, a winning percentage of .750. That is fourth-best in NCAA history for coaches with at least 30 games behind only John Wooden, Mike Krzyzewski and Rick Pitino.
- • Williams has 63 NCAA Tournament wins, third most in NCAA history behind Krzyzewski (82) and Dean Smith (65).
- • The Tar Heels are now 18-0 this season when leading at the half.
- • Carolina opponents have shot a season high percentage from the floor in three straight games (Duke .509, Pitt .519 and Providence .528). The opponents have shot 50 percent or better in each of the last five halves and six of the last eight.
- • The opponents did not shoot 50 percent from the floor in the first 30 games this year, but have done so in each of the last three.
- • Providence guard Bryce Cotton scored 36 points, which not only tied the figure for most points against UNC this year (Russ Smith of Louisville and T.J. Warren of NC State), bit equalled the most points by a player against UNC in 152 NCAA Tournament games. Rick Mount of Purdue scored 36 in the 1969 Final Four and Harold Arceneaux had 36 for Weber State in the 1999 first round. UNC lost both the Purdue and Weber State games.
- • The win was Williams' 724th of his career, tying him with DePaul's Ray Meyer for 19th place in NCAA history. Williams is now 724-189 in 26 seasons, including 306-88 at North Carolina.