North Carolina 84, NC State 70
February 1, 2014
- • Carolina is now 14-7 overall, 4-4 in the ACC and 10-3 at home this season.
- • The Tar Heels are 21-2 against NC State under head coach Roy Williams (11-0 in Chapel Hill) and have beaten the Wolfpack in 38 of the last 47 meetings.
- • Including Kansas, Roy Williams' teams are 26-2 against NC State.
- • Carolina scored 84 points, its highest point production in ACC play this year and the most since scoring 84 against UNC Wilmington on New Year's Eve.
- • The Tar Heels averaged 56.3 points in their first three ACC games (losses to Wake Forest, Miami and Syracuse) and have averaged 77.0 in the last five games (4-1).
- • Carolina made 25 of 33 free throws, a percentage of .758 that is the second-best in any game this year and the highest percentage in an ACC game. UNC shot 76.5 percent against UNC Wilmington, the only game in which the Tar Heels shot a higher rate than today.
- • The Tar Heels made 15 of 17 free throws in the second half - 88.2 percent. Over the last two games (wins over Georgia Tech and NC State, Carolina has made 31 of 39 free throws in the second half (.795).
- • Leslie McDonald led the Tar Heels with 20 points. It was the first time this year he led UNC in scoring (sixth in career), his third career 20-point game and third consecutive game in which he posted his ACC scoring high this season.
- • McDonald also had 24 against UAB and 21 against Mississippi State in 2012-13.
- • McDonald scored his 700thcareer point today (has 716 in 112 games).
- • James Michael McAdoo scored 16 points and tied his season high with 13 rebounds en route to his fourth double-double of the season (and 13thof his career). He also had 13 rebounds against Belmont. That is one shy of his career high.
- • McAdoo has scored in double figures in 14 consecutive games.
- • Kennedy Meeks grabbed 10 rebounds for the second straight game; he has 37 rebounds in the last four games.
- • Marcus Paige scored 11 of his 15 points in the first half, the only player to score in double figures in the first half. He had a game-high five assists and went 7 for 7 from the line.
- • Paige is now shooting an ACC-best 91.3 percent from the free throw line this year (84 for 92).
- • Brice Johnson scored 10 points and had seven rebounds. It was his first time in double figures in seven games, since he scored 12 points at Wake Forest in the ACC opener.
- • Carolina out-rebounded NC State, 52-36, including a 22-12 edge on the offensive glass. The Wolfpack scored the game's first four second-chance points, but the Tar Heels scored the next 17 second-chance points. UNC held the Pack without a second-chance point for almost 19 minutes (from 7:34 in the first half to 8:38 in the second half). For the game, UNC had a 20-8 advantage in second-chance points.
- • NC State shot 65.4 percent from the floor in the second half, by far the best percentage in a half against UNC this year. Previous best was 53.8 percent by Oakland in the second in the opening game. Today was the first time an opponent shot 50 percent in the second half since Davidson.
- • The win was the 296th for Roy Williams at Carolina (296-86 at UNC, 714-187 overall, 121-49 in ACC regular-season games).