Postgame Notes • Sept. 29, 2012
North Carolina 66, Idaho 0
North Carolina 66, Idaho 0
- UNC set a school record for points with 66. The previous record was 65 against Virginia Medical in 1914 and Wake Forest in 1928. It marks the 12th time in school history Carolina has scored 60 or more points in a game. This is the first time Carolina has scored 60 or more points twice in the season.
- Carolina also set a school record for its largest margin of victory at 66 points, breaking the former record of 65 in 1914 against Virginia Medical and 1928 against Wake Forest.
- The Tar Heel defense held Idaho to just nine first downs, the first time an opponent has been held to under 10 by Carolina since Virginia Tech recorded nine in 2006.
- This is the first time Carolina has shut out two opponents in the same season since 1996 (Elon and Idaho in 2012, Clemson and Georgia Tech in 1996).
- Carolina has not allowed a single point in the third quarter in any of the first five games this season. The Tar Heels have outscored the opposition, 66-0, in the third quarter this year.
- UNC outscored Idaho 28-0 in the first quarter and outgained the Vandals 239-18. The Carolina defense held Idaho without a first down until the first drive of the second quarter. It was also the first time the Tar Heels scored four touchdowns in a quarter since doing so against Georgia Southern in 2009.
- The Tar Heels posted the most points in a first half (45) since scoring 52 against Duke in 2000.
- Carolina rushed for a season-high 287 yards. Its previous high this year was 243 against Elon.
- The Tar Heels gained a season-high 575 yards. Its previous high this year was 524 against Elon.
- Idaho punted 10 times, the first time Carolina has forced an opponent to punt 10 times since Oklahoma punted 11 times in the 2001 season opener.
- Carolina blocked a pair of Idaho punts in the first quarter, one by Romar Morris (his second of the season) and one by Pete Mangum. Today marked the first time that Carolina has blocked multiple punts in a game since Bruce Carter blocked three punts against Connecticut in 2008.
- QB Bryn Renner finished 14 for 19 for 231 yards and three touchdowns. He has thrown for 14 touchdowns on the season, two shy of eighth place on the UNC single-season list. With three touchdown passes against Idaho, Renner has thrown for multiple touchdowns in four of five games this season and 13 times in his career.
- Renner now has 40 career touchdown passes, third all-time at Carolina.
- Renner passed Mike Thomas (fifth, 4,368) on the UNC career passing yardage list. Renner now has 4,522 yards. He also moved within two completions of Ronald Curry on the career completions list and now ranks fifth all-time at Carolina with 344.
- RB Giovani Bernard caught four passes for 50 yards and rushed twice for 70 yards, both carries went for touchdowns, including a career long 68-yarder in the second quarter.
- Bernard now has 21 career touchdowns, including 17 rushing scores.
- WR Quinshad Davis scored his first career receiving touchdown, a 35-yard catch in the first quarter. Davis also scored another 35-yard receiving touchdown in the third quarter.
- Back-up quarterback Marquise Williams threw his first collegiate touchdown pass to Davis in the third quarter and scored twice on runs of one and four yards.
- The Carolina defense intercepted four passes on the day, surpassing the previous season total of three. Dion Guy, Darien Rankin, and T.J. Jiles each recorded their first career interceptions.
- PKCasey Barthconverted all nine of his PAT attempts on the day. Carolina has made 147 consecutive extra points, including a school-record 109 in a row. Barth also extended his school record for career made field goals to 58 with a 33-yarder in the second quarter.
- Barth also set the single-game school record with nine extra points. Nine players shared the previous record with eight PATs in a game. The last to do so was Jeff Reed at Duke in 2000.
- OGJonathan Cooperstarted his 40th career game Saturday, most among active offensive linemen in the ACC.