CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- No.1 North Carolina will open its 2013 campaign in Boshamer Stadium on Friday at 3 p.m. when the Tar Heels open a three-game set against Seton Hall.
Tar Heels Open 2013 Campaign Against Seton Hall
• No. 1 North Carolina will open its 2013 season on Friday at 3 p.m. with the beginning game of a three-game series with Big East foe Seton Hall.
• The Tar Heels are coming off a 46-16 season that saw them earn the No. 6 national seed before being upset by St. John’s in the Chapel Hill Regional.
North Carolina-Seton Hall Series History
• Friday’s meeting will be the 65th between the two clubs as the Pirates tend to make the trip south to face the Tar Heels early each year.
• Carolina holds a 53-11 advantage in the series.
• The last time the clubs met was the second series of the 2011 season when Carolina won two of three from Seton Hall.
• The teams have played in 22 of the last 25 seasons, traditionally in an early season series.
Openers Under Fox
• Since Mike Fox took over as the head coach in 1999, North Carolina is:
• 14-0 in season openers
• 13-1 in home openers
• 4 straight home opener wins
• Carolina is one of a few schools in the country that returns its entire weekend rotation that closed out the 2012 season.
• The Tar Heel trio of junior Kent Emanuel (8-4), sophomore Benton Moss (7-2) and junior Hobbs Johnson (7-1) combined for 22 wins a year ago.
• The 22 returning wins are tied for the second most returning in the country with Louisville. Florida State returns 25 but sophomore Mike Compton is set to miss the 2013 season due to injury after winning 12 games in 2012.
Most Starting Rotation Wins Returning in 2013
1. Florida State 25
T2. North Carolina 22
T2. Louisville 22
T4. Cal State Bakersfield 20
T4. Georgia Tech 20
T4. Saint Louis 20
(courtesy of Saint Louis University)
Tar Heels Boast A Deep Pitching Staff
• North Carolina lost just two pitcher starts from 2012 as the team returns 60 of their 62 starts from last year.
• A remarkable 97 percent of pitcher starts return for the 2013 season.
• In addition to the starting rotation of Emanuel, Moss and Johnson, senior Chris Munnelly made 10 starts in 2012.
• Sophomore Chris O’Brien made five starts, while junior Shane Tyalor made four of his own. Sophomore right-hander Luis Paula made a pair of starts last year.
Moran Set To Anchor Offensive Revival
• Junior Colin Moran earned preseason first team All-America honors from Baseball America prior to the 2013 season and is expected to be the cornerstone of the Tar Heel offense.
• Carolina hit .276 as a team a year ago and will expect to make strides with six regulars from the lineup returning for 2013.
• Carolina will also lean on a pair of freshmen who look to make opening day starts in Landon Lassiter and Skye Bolt.