CAROLINA (107) vs. NC STATE (56)
JANUARY 8, 2017
UNC Scoring Leaders: Justin Jackson 21
Points Per Possession: Carolina 1.05 (107 points on 102 possessions); NC State 0.66 (56 points on 85 possessions)
• The 51-point win was the largest ever by UNC in an ACC game (against any opponent). Previous was a 103-55 win over Florida State (48 points) on Jan. 24, 1998.
• Carolina is 14-3 overall and 2-1 in the ACC.
• The Tar Heels are 8-0 at the Smith Center this year.
• The 51-point win is Carolina’s largest margin of victory since a 68-point win over UNC Asheville (116-48) on 11/30/2008.
• It was the first win by 50 or more points since a 99-49 win over Nicholls on 12/19/2011.
• Carolina had a season-high 37 points off turnovers (previous 33 vs. Chattanooga).
• Fifth time this year with 100 or more points. Most in one season since the 2008-09 national champions did it nine times.
• Scored 22 second-chance points, the eighth time UNC has scored 20 or more second-chance points.
• Made a season-high 39 field goals (previous 37 vs. Chaminade and Oklahoma State).
• Hit a season-high 12 three-pointers (previous 10 vs. Davidson and Clemson).
• Grabbed 50 rebounds, the seventh time this year UNC had at least 50 rebounds.
• Forced a season-high tying 26 turnovers (also by Chattanooga).
• Carolina’s bench out-scored NC State’s starting five, 38-36.
Tar Heel Player Notes
• Joel Berry II had 19 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals. He was 6 of 10 from the floor, 3 for 7 3FG, 4 for 4 FT.
• Justin Jackson scored a game-high 21 points, his seventh 20-point game this year and the seventh time this year he has led UNC in scoring.
• Jackson made 6 of 11 three-pointers, the third time in the last eight games he has made six or more three-pointers (7 vs. Davidson and 6 vs. Monmouth).
• Jackson has made a team-high 41 three-pointers this year. He made 35 in 40 games last year.
• Tony Bradley scored 11 points, his 10h time in double figures and first in an ACC game. He had a combined three points in his first two ACC games.
• Bradley and Luke Maye led UNC with eight rebounds. It was the fourth time this year Bradley has led UNC and the first time in his career Maye has done so.
• Maye had a career-high eight rebounds.
• Theo Pinson played for the first time this season (missed the first 16 games with a foot injury) and provided five assists, five rebounds, four steals and no turnovers in 13 minutes.
Roy Williams Notes
• 797-212 overall (needs three wins for 800 all-time)
• 379-111 at Carolina
• 157-62 ACC regular-season
• 395-44 at home, 192-27 at Carolina at home
• 31-3 against NC State, including 26-3 as Carolina’s head coach
• The 107 points were the most scored by Carolina in the 231 games in series history.
• The 51-point margin of victory is the second-largest by UNC in series history (52 in 1921).
• This was the fourth time UNC has scored 100 points against NC State.
101 points on 2-7-1972
100 points on 1-7-1993
104 points on 2-6-1993
107 points on 1-8-2017
• Carolina has won 43 of the last 53 and 26 of the last 29 games against NC State.
• Carolina is 75-23 against NC State in Chapel Hill, including 25-6 in the Smith Center.
Next Game: Wednesday, January 11, at Wake Forest (8 p.m., ESPN2)