CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - No. 18 North Carolina (1-0) cruised past Wofford College (0-1) at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Saturday morning in the team's opening match of the season. The Tar Heels' 7-0 sweep of the Terriers featured a number of dominating performances, and the victory was ultimately clinched by freshman Brett Clark in his first collegiate dual match.
The Tar Heels wasted no time gaining an early edge in the doubles matches. The pairing of #44-ranked Esben Hess-Olesen and Nelson Vick provided a dominant 8-1 victory at the No. 1 seed over Wofford's pairing of Rob Galloway and Walker Heffron. At No. 2 doubles, North Carolina's Brett Clark and William Parker rolled past Jackson Keith David Sklar 8-2. North Carolina's pairing of Stuart DePaolo and Andrew Gores at the No. 3 seed completed a sweep of the doubles matches for the Tar Heels as they dismissed Wofford's duo of Graham Duncan and Parks Thompson 8-4.
Singles play yielded similarly positive results for North Carolina. Senior William Parker captured the first singles victory, defeating Wofford's Walker Heffron 6-0, 6-2 at the #4 spot. At No. 2 singles, Nelson Vick made quick work of Jackson Keith 6-0, 6-1 in his dual match debut for UNC.
Freshman Brett Clark, a Naples, Fla. native, clinched the victory for the Tar Heels in his debut with a rout of Wofford's Rob Galloway 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 3 seed.
The rest of the team eventually followed suit, as a duo of sophomores - Oystein Steiro and Esben Hess-Olesen - claimed victories in the No. 5 singles and No. 1 singles matches, respectively.
"We played well. It's good to get your first win under your belt," said senior William Parker, "Everyone played well. We won 7-0, so it's always nice when everyone wins in a clean sweep."
Head Coach Sam Paul agreed, but also acknowledged that the Tar Heels have room to improve.
"It was a good way to get [the season] started, but we have to keep our foot on the gas. We have a lot of work to do," said Paul.
The Tar Heels will be back in action later this evening when they take on Gardner-Webb at 5:00 PM.
#18 North Carolina
7, Wofford 0
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. #44 Esben Hess-Olesen and Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Rob Galloway and Walker Heffron (Wofford), 8-1
2. Brett Clark and William Parker (UNC) d. Jackson Keith and David Sklar (Wofford), 8-2
3. Stuart DePaolo and Andrew Gores (UNC) d. Graham Duncan
and Parks Thompson (Wofford), 8-4
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (4, 2, 3, 5, 1, 6)
1. #18 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) d. Drew Superstein (Wofford), 6-3, 6-2
2. #58 Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Jackson Keith (Wofford), 6-0, 6-1
3. #57 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Rob Galloway (Wofford), 6-2, 6-0
4. #102 William Parker (UNC) d. Walker Heffron (Wofford), 6-0, 6-25. Oystein Steiro (UNC) d. Graham Duncan (Wofford), 6-1, 6-3
6. Maik Ulrich (UNC) d. David Sklar (Wofford), 6-4, 6-2
Records: North Carolina (1-0), Wofford (0-1)