Carter began the day going through graduation ceremonies in the heart of the Chapel Hill campus. By the afternoon, she donned her Carolina Blue top and white shorts and sent her club to the NCAA Round of 16 where UNC will face 15th seed Duke on Friday, May 19 at 9 a.m.
Singles play was also a back-and-forth slugfest between the two programs. However, sophomores Chloe Ouellet-Pizer and Jessie Aney gave Carolina a little breathing room with wins on court six and court two, respectively, to make it 3-0 Tar Heels.
Ole Miss (15-14) grabbed a win on court two, but Carter closed the door on the Rebels when her serve was initially called out by her opponent, but the chair umpire overturned the call, setting off another in a long line of celebrations in Carter's four historical seasons.
For the record, Carter's 4-6, 6-0, 6-3 win over No. 27 Arianna Hartono was the 166th of her career, extending her ACC record.
The victory improved Carolina's overall record to 32-2, setting a new program record for dual-match wins in a season. The 2016 club held the mark for exactly one season after recording a 31-3 mark.
1. #2 Hayley Carter (UNC) def. #27 Arianne Hartono (OM) 4-6, 6-0, 6-3
2. #76 Natalie Suk (OM) def. #18 Sara Daavettila (UNC) 7-6 (6), 6-2
3. #35 Jessie Aney (UNC) def. Zalina Khairudinova (OM) 6-3, 6-2
4. #74 Alexa Graham (UNC) vs. Anna Vrbenska (OM) 6-7 (7), 6-3
5. #100 Makenna Jones (UNC) vs. Tea Jandric (OM) 6-4, 6-5
6. Chloe Ouellet-Pizer (UNC) def. Alexa Bortles (OM) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 2, 1
1. #4 Hayley Carter/Jessie Aney (UNC) def. #21 Arianne Hartono/Alexa Bortles (OM) 7-5
2. Sara Daavettila/Makenna Jones (UNC) def. Natalie Suk/Zalina Khairudinova (OM) 7-6
3. Anna Vrbenska/Tea Jandric (OM) def. Chloe Ouellet-Pizer/Rachael James-Baker (UNC) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2