CHAPEL HILL --- No. 9 North Carolina opens its 2017 campaign Friday at 3 p.m. with the first of a three-game series against SEC opponent Kentucky at Boshamer Stadium. This will mark the second time since 2013 that the Tar Heels will start a season on their home field. Carolina had its opener against the College of Charleston moved to Charleston due to inclement weather in 2014 before visiting UCLA in Los Angeles to open 2016. The series continues Saturday at 2 p.m. and concludes Sunday at 1 p.m.
AT A GLANCE
Records: North Carolina 0-0, Kentucky 0-0
Rankings: North Carolina is ranked in all of the national polls, with a high of No. 9 in the D1Baseball poll. Kentucky is unranked.
Video: ACC Network Extra. Friday and Sunday games will be broadcast by ACC Network Extra.
Links: Friday | Sunday
On The Web: GoHeels.com • Twitter: @DiamondHeels
NORTH CAROLINA-KENTUCKY SERIES HISTORY
• North Carolina and Kentucky are renewing a series that has been dormant for more than a century.
• The only previous meeting in the series came in Chapel Hill in 1910, a 1-0 Carolina victory.
• From the April 20, 1910, Daily Tar Heel: “Carolina made the only run of the game when Bivens hit a scorching liner over first base for three bases. With one down and Rose at the bat Bivens crossed the plate on Rose’s perfect execution of the squeeze play.”
SEASON OPENERS UNDER FOX
• North Carolina is 17-1 in season openers since Mike Fox took over as the head coach in 1999.
• The Tar Heels started last season in impressive fashion with a series win at No. 9 UCLA that included a 4-0 shutout victory in the season opener.
• Carolina opened the 2015 campaign with a sweep of Seton Hall that included a 7-1 Opening Day victory.
• Carolina suffered its first loss in an opener under Fox in 2014 when the Tar Heels dropped a 7-4 decision at the College of Charleston.