CHAPEL HILL - North Carolina has long been an NBA Draft powerhouse, boasting the most draftees and first-round picks in Atlantic Coast Conference history by a wide margin. From Lennie Rosenbluth, Carolina's initial first-round pick in 1957, to Reggie Bullock last year, the Tar Heels have had a strong draft presence for decades.
On Thursday night, former Tar Heel P.J. Hairston added to Carolina's professional legacy when he was picked 26th overall in the first round. The Miami Heat took Hairston and reportedly will trade him to Charlotte.
North Carolina's NBA Draft Facts & Figures
- • P.J. Hairston is the 46th Tar Heel 1st-round NBA Draft pick and the 15th under head coach Roy Williams.
- • Roy Williams has coached 26 first-round NBA Draft picks (15 at UNC and 11 at Kansas).
- • Roy Williams has coached 18 NBA draftees in the last 11 seasons
- • Hairston is the 107th Tar Heel to be selected in the NBA Draft.
- • Carolina has had 107 players drafted by NBA teams and 46 first-round picks, most in the ACC by a wide margin.
- • ESPN has ranked UNC the No. 1 school in the nation in producing the best pros in the modern NBA Draft era (since 1989).
- • Carolina's 35 first-round picks since 1980 lead the nation.
- • UNC has produced 22 top-10 NBA Draft picks since 1966, most in the nation.
- • 16 former Tar Heels dotted NBA rosters in 2013-14.