North Carolina (29-6) capped its best season in program history with one of the most epic final matches in NCAA history.
It was an uphill climb from the start as Carolina lost on court two in doubles for just the second time all year long, giving the Bruins an early edge among the three matches with an 8-2 win.
The Tar Heels led 6-5 on both courts one and three, putting them in position to saddle UCLA with its first loss in doubles all year long. However, the Bruins answered with the next two points on court one to lead 7-6.
Jamie Loeb served to keep Carolina in the match and was successful in sending court one to a tiebreaker. The Bruins jumped out to an early lead in the breaker and would clinch the critical opening point with a 7-6(4) victory.
In singles, court one featured a battle between top ranked Loeb and No. 2 Robin Anderson for the Bruins. Unlike the fall when Loeb won both meetings in the finals of the two major events held in Los Angeles and New York, respectively, Anderson dominated to the tune of a 6-2, 6-2 win over Loeb, giving UCLA a 2-0 advantage.
It was Loeb's first loss since back in February, snapping a 25-match winning streak.
Carolina fought back to tie the match 2-2 when Carter and Vialle won in straight sets on courts two and five, respectively.
It set up a dramatic finish with third set matches on courts three, four and six to decide the national title.
UCLA went back up 3-2 with a win on court four.
Tessa Lyons knotted the match at 3-3 with a three-set victory on court six. After dropping the opening set, she roared back to win sets two and three to set up a dramatic ending that would fall on court three between Carolina's Caroline Price and UCLA's Kyle McPhillips.
The Bruin would take the opening set 6-4, before Price answered right back with a 6-3 win in the second set.
Down 5-3, Price battled to the bitter end with the final point going to deuce seven times and fought off three championship points before McPhillips won the deciding point and the national title.
Women's Final: #5 UCLA (27-2) def. #7 NORTH CAROLINA (29-6), 4-3 - Henry Feild Stadium
Doubles (Order of finish: 2,1)
1. #1 Robin Anderson/Jennifer Brady (UCLA) def. #3 Jamie Loeb/Hayley Carter (NORTH CAROLINA), 8-7(3)
2. #9 Catherine Harrison/Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. #13 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (NORTH CAROLINA), 8-2
3. Courtney Dolehide/Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Ashley Dai/Tessa Lyons (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-7, unf.
Singles (Order of finish: 1,2,5,4,6,3)
1. #2 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. #1 Jamie Loeb (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-2, 6-2
2. #5 Hayley Carter (NORTH CAROLINA) def. #8 Jennifer Brady (UCLA), 6-2, 6-2
3. #38 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. #59 Caroline Price (NORTH CAROLINA), 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
4. #13 Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. #105 Ashley Dai (NORTH CAROLINA), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Kate Vialle (NORTH CAROLINA) def. #75 Catherine Harrison (UCLA), 6-4, 6-4
6. Tessa Lyons (NORTH CAROLINA) def. Kaitlin Ray (UCLA), 3-6, 6-4, 7-5