North Carolina (25-5) took the opening doubles point for a 1-0 advantage over the Rams. No. 13 Whitney Kay and Caroline Price won 8-3 on court one, before Tessa Lyons and Kate Vialle sealed the point with an identical 8-3 won on court three.
Fifth-ranked Hayley Carter wasted no time in giving her Tar Heel club a 2-0 lead with a 6-0, 6-0 win on court two singles over Daria Yakauleva.
No. 59 Caroline Price was next to finish on court three, winning 7-5, 6-1 to make it 3-0 in favor of the Tar Heels.
No. 105 Ashley Dai finished minutes later to clinch the victory. Her 6-3, 6-4 win on court five sent the Tar Heels into the NCAA second round against Georgia State, who won 4-3 over Tennessee in the first match of the day, a marathon contest that took over four hours to complete.
The UNC-Georgia State match will take place on Saturday at 3 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
VCU vs North Carolina
5/9/2014 at Chapel Hill, N.C.
(Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center)
#7 North Carolina 4, VCU 0
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (NC) vs. #121 Cindy Chala (VCU) 7-6 (7-2), 3-0, unfinished
2. #5 Hayley Carter (NC) def. Daria Yakauleva (VCU) 6-0, 6-0
3. #59 Caroline Price (NC) def. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Whitney Kay (NC) vs. Olga Barscheuskaya (VCU) 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
5. #105 Ashley Dai (NC) def. Ludivine Burguiere (VCU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kate Vialle (NC) vs. Olga Terteac (VCU) 7-5, 4-3, unfinished
1. #13 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (NC) def. Olga Barscheuskaya/Daria Yakauleva (VCU) 8-3
2. Jamie Loeb/Ashley Dai (NC) vs. Salome Kvitashvili/Olga Terteac (VCU) 4-7, unfinished
3. Tessa Lyons/Kate Vialle (NC) def. Ludivine Burguiere/Cindy Chala (VCU) 8-3
North Carolina 25-5; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,3,5)
NCAA First Round Match