CHAPEL HILL ---North Carolina welcomes No. 4 Florida State to Boshamer Stadium for a three-game set beginning Friday night at 7, the final home series of 2014 for the Tar Heels. Carolina has won seven of its last nine including a pair of midweek victories over Campbell and Elon to improve to 29-19 on the year, while FSU comes to town with a 37-11 record. UNC is 13-11 in Atlantic Coast Conference play after a sweep of Virginia Tech two weekends ago and the Tar Heels stand in fifth place overall for postseason tournament seeding purposes. The Seminoles lead the ACC Atlantic division by 4.5 games with a 17-7 league mark and are poised to earn a top-2 seed in the ACC tournament.
AT A GLANCE
Records: North Carolina 29-19 (13-11 ACC), Florida State 37-11 (17-7 ACC)
Rankings: Florida State is ranked No. 4 by the NCBWA and the USA Today/ESPN coaches' poll, No. 5 by Baseball American and Perfect Game and No. 6 by Collegiate Baseball. Carolina is unranked.
Video: ESPN3 (Friday), RSN (Saturday) and GoHeelsTV (Sunday).
Audio: GoHeels.com. All three games will be streamed live on GoHeels.com.
On The Web: GoHeels.com • Twitter: @DiamondHeels
|Video||Carolina Probable Starters||Florida State Probable Starters|
|Friday • 7 p.m.||ESPN3||RHP Trent Thornton (7-2, 1.85 ERA)||RHP Luke Weaver (6-3, 2.88 ERA)|
|Saturday • 1 p.m.||RSN||RHP Benton Moss (3-2, 3.75 ERA)||RHP Mike Compton (5-1, 3.16 ERA)|
|Sunday • 1 p.m.||GoHeelsTV||RHP Zac Gallen (5-3, 4.34 ERA)||TBA|
CAROLINA-FLORIDA STATE SERIES HISTORY
• North Carolina is 30-63 all-time against Florida State, including an 18-28 record under head coach Mike Fox.
• Carolina has won three in a row against Florida State over the span of three seasons. The last three-game series between the two schools came in 2011, when the Tar Heels won two of three in Tallahassee.
• UNC and FSU were not scheduled to play in 2012 or 2013, but the two met for a nationally televised pre-ACC Championship game last year in Chapel Hill. Carolina won that game 4-3.
• The last weekend series at Boshamer Stadium came in 2010, with Florida State winning two of three.
• Prior to 2010, Carolina had won four straight home series against the Seminoles. Overall, UNC is 12-7 at home against Florida State under Fox.
• The last sweep came in 2005 when the ‘Noles took all three games in Tallahassee. UNC swept FSU in Chapel Hill in 2002.
• Carolina won consecutive midweek games for the first time since March 11-12 with victories over Campbell and Elon May 6-7.
• RHP Zac Gallen started Tuesday's win over Campbell, throwing 6.0 shutout innings in perhaps his best outing as a Tar Heel.
• Michael Russell had three hits against the Camels to boost his batting average to .361. He also extended his hitting streak to 19 games.
• UNC scored five times in the first en route to a 12-6 win over Elon on Wednesday. Parks Jordan and Tyler Ramirez had three hits each, while Joe Dudek clubbed his fourth home run of the year.
• RHP Taylore Cherry picked up his first win since the 2013 ACC Championship game with 5.1 solid innings of work. He allowed just four hits, three of which did not leave the infield.