No. 11 North Carolina (24-5) fell behind 3-0 to the sixth-ranked Blue Devils, before freshman Hayley Carter began the rally with a straight-set victory on court two over No. 26 Ester Goldfeld. Ranked fifth nationally, Carter is now 42-6 on the year.
Classmate and top-ranked Jamie Loeb made it 3-2 with an impressive 6-3, 6-3, win over No. 7 Beatrice Capra on court one. Capra is one of only two players to defeat Loeb during her ACC Player of the Year campaign thus far, however, Loeb is now 2-1 against her Blue Devil counterpart and 46-2 overall.
No. 111 Ashley Dai brought the Tar Heels all the way back into a 3-3 tie with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-2) victory on court five over No. 113 Alyssa Smith.
The match would be decided on court three between Carolina's 50th-ranked Caroline Price and No. 35 Hanna Mar. Price took the opening set 6-3, but Mar quickly rallied for a 6-1 second-set victory to set up a thrilling third set for a spot in the ACC title match on Sunday.
Price would lead 3-1, 4-2, 5-3 and later 6-5 in the final set during a brilliant match that took over three hours to complete. Mar later sent the set into a tiebreaker by holding serve to make it 6-6.
Price took an early 2-1 advantage in the breaker, before Mar stormed right back to lead 3-2. Tied 3-3 as both players switched court positions on the crossover, Mar came out on top with a 7-4 tie breaking victory over Price.
In doubles, Duke won the opening point over Carolina for the third time in three matches this spring. The Blue Devils won 8-3 on court three, but Loeb and Dai evened things up with an 8-3 win over the 30th-ranked duo of Goldfeld and Smith on court two.
The doubles point would be won by Duke on court one by No. 5 Capra and Mar by the score of 8-6 over the 10th-ranked tandem of Price and Whitney Kay.
#6 Duke 4, #11 North Carolina 3
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (NC) def. #7 Beatrice Capra (DU) 6-3, 6-3
2. #5 Hayley Carter (NC) def. #26 Ester Goldfeld (DU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #35 Hanna Mar (DU) def. #50 Caroline Price (NC) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Chalena Scholl (DU) def. Whitney Kay (NC) 6-4, 6-3
5. #111 Ashley Dai (NC) def. #113 Alyssa Smith (DU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Rachel Kahan (DU) def. Kate Vialle (NC) 6-1, 6-2
1. #5 Beatrice Capra/Hanna Mar (DU) def. No. 10 Caroline Price/Whitney Kay (NC) 8-6
2. Jamie Loeb/Ashley Dai (NC) def. #30 Ester Goldfeld/Alyssa Smith (DU) 8-3
3. #88 Chalena Scholl/Annie Mulholland (DU) def. Laura Slater/Kate Vialle (NC) 8-3
Duke 24-3; National ranking #6
North Carolina 24-5; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,2,1,5,3)