COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 12 North Carolina men's tennis team (11-2) fell to No. 1 Ohio State (16-0, 1-0 Big Ten) on Friday 4-1 at Varsity Tennis Center.
Despite a competitive series of doubles matches, the Tar Heels found themselves in an early 1-0 hole.
With the doubles point on the line, the Tar Heel duo of Nelson Vick and Oystein Steiro put up a good fight before eventually falling to the eighth-ranked pair of Peter Kobelt and Kevin Metka, 8-7(7-3).
In singles, the Tar Heels won three of six first sets but ultimately surrendered the three matches the Buckeyes needed to clinch the match.
No. 47 Brett Clark tallied the Tar Heels' sole victory on court three, handling Chris Diaz 6-3, 6-1.
Ohio State opened up singles with victories on No. 5 and No. 6, and Kevin Metka sealed the match for the Buckeyes with a 7-6(7-5), 6-4 defeat of Esben Hess-Olesen.
The matches on courts one and two were suspended after the match was clinched. Carolina's No. 19 Brayden Schnur led ninth-ranked Peter Kobelt 7-6, 5-6 at No. 1 and 29th-ranked Ronnie Schneider led Ohio State's No. 88 Herkko Pollanen 6-2, 3-6, 4-3 on court two.
The Tar Heels continue their competitive nonconference slate with a doubleheader on March 10. They are set to face fourth-ranked Texas at noon before taking on Longwood at 6 p.m.
#1 Ohio State 4, #12 North Carolina 1
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (3,2,1)
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (5,6,3,4)
1. #19 Brayden Schnur (UNC) led #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU), 7-6(8-6), 5-6 (unfinished)
2. #29 Ronnie Schneider (UNC) led #88 Herkko Pollanen (OSU), 6-2, 3-6, 4-3 (unfinished)
3. #47 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Chris Diaz (OSU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Kevin Metka (OSU) d. Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC), 7-6(7-5), 6-4
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) d. Oystein Steiro (UNC), 6-4, 6-3
6. #72 Hunter Callahan (OSU) d. Nelson Vick (UNC), 6-3, 6-0
Team Records: North Carolina (11-2), Ohio State (16-0)