Forestdale, Massachusetts (October 23, 2013) --- Willie Scroggs, University of North Carolina, one of the most successful college lacrosse coaches in the nation, will receive the IMLCA Creators Award presented by Nike during the 2013 IMLCA Nike Awards Luncheon Friday, December 13.
The IMLCA Nike Awards Luncheon will be conducted during the 2013 Intercollegiate Men's Lacrosse Coaches Association Convention in Baltimore, Maryland.
Coach Scroggs led the Tar Heel teams to a 120-37 record during his tenure and captured the 1981, 1982 and 1986 NCAA Division I championships. In addition, his teams advanced to the NCAA semifinals six other times. In ACC competition, the Tar Heels captured the 1981, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989 and 1990 conference titles.
Coach Scroggs retired from coaching in 1990 to become the senior associate athletic director for operations at the University of North Carolina where he currently continues as a leader in the athletics department.
In addition to his on-field success, Coach Scroggs has been an integral part of the history of the sport as a member of the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Committee and NCAA Men's Lacrosse Rules Committee.
The Creators Award is bestowed periodically to an IMLCA member for achievements in the core areas of advocacy, leadership, education, honor, spirit and service to the game of lacrosse.
"The IMLCA Board of Directors is honored to present the 2013 Creators Award, presented by Nike, to Coach Scroggs. The Award recognizes his commitment to the history, spirit and traditions of the sport of lacrosse," said Phil Buttafuoco, IMLCA Executive Director.
The IMLCA applies the following criteria when considering candidates for this prestigious award:
* The award may be given to nominees who have rendered such meritorious service to the sport of lacrosse as may seem sufficient to entitle them to this honor.
* Meritorious service is defined as leadership and unusual service over and above the normal duties expected of a lacrosse coach, highlighted by the following areas of accomplishment:
* Active participation and leadership in advocating the history and traditions of the sport of lacrosse.
* Display of honor towards the game in a manner that would make the game's forefathers proud.
* Expression of spirit towards that game that is reflective of the games' creators.
* Display of a cooperative and caring attitude in offering his own professional and personal expertise and assistance to the sport of lacrosse and his institution.
* Improvement of the lacrosse team at his institution without sacrifice of standards.
Former recipients of the IMLCA Creators Award presented by Nike
2006 Sid Jamieson, Bucknell University
2007 Fred Acee SUNY Farmingdale and U.S. Air Force Academy
2008 Dick Edell Maryland
2009 Mike Messere West Genesse High School
2010 Richie Moran Cornell University
2011 Jack Emmer Cortland, Washington & Lee, Army
2012 Dave Urick Hobart, Georgetown
About The IMLCAThe IMLCA was created to help build the game of lacrosse, become the premier organization providing coaches development and monitor the integrity of the game. Its membership is comprised of individual collegiate coaches. To further expose its value, the IMLCA has created relationships with the high school boys lacrosse coaches and the collegiate club lacrosse coaches so that they too can benefit from the initiatives of the Association.