CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - North Carolina volleyball is set to welcome ACC newcomer Notre Dame for a match this Friday at 7 p.m.
The No. 24 Tar Heels, who are now 12-0 after sweeping NC State on Wednesday, will close out a seven-game home stand with Friday's meeting with the Irish. Friday's match will also be Alumni Night as former Tar Heel volleyball players are invited back to Chapel Hill.
The Tar Heels opened the 2013 season with a non-conference match against Notre Dame, downing the Irish in straight sets at MTSU's Blue Raider Bash.
FOLLOW THE MATCH
- Admission is free at Carmichael Arena.
- There will be live video on GoHeels TV and live stats, and fans can follow @UNCVolleyball on Twitter.
- No. 14 UNC is 2-5 all-time vs. the Irish. Carolina swept Notre Dame to open the season in a non-conference match at MTSU's Blue Raider Bash
- The Tar Heels enter today's match at 12-0, tallying 28-straight wins at home in Carmichael Arena dating back to Oct. 7, 2011.
- This is UNC's best season start in program history; UNC went 9-0 to start the 1981 season.
- Notre Dame is 6-4 entering the team's first ACC match.
- Last outing: The Tar Heels swept NC State on Wednesday in their ACC-opener.
- Jovana Bjelica leads UNC with 118 kills, 45 digs and 27 blocks so far.
- Kayla Berringer has tallied 105 kills and 28 blocks, while Paige Neuenfeldt and Victoria McPherson have combined for 88 blocks.
- Carolina leads the ACC in opponent hitting percentage (.113) and blocks (2.88/set) and is second in assists (13.65/set) and kills (14.52/set).
- As of 9/22, UNC ranks 10th in the NCAA in kills, blocks and assists.
- Last outing: The Irish went 1-2 last weekend at the Kansas Invitational, defeating North Dakota State before falling to Georgia and Kansas.
- Jeni Houser leads the Irish with 123 kills and 46 blocks. Toni Alugbue has 134 blocks and 109 digs, and Maggie Brindock has 36 blocks and 83 digs.
- Besides North Carolina, Notre Dame has faced just one other top-25 team this year, dropping a 3-2 match to #22 Purdue on Sept. 7.