CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - No. 15 North Carolina is set for a big weekend at Carmichael Arena, welcoming No. 16 Illinois on Friday and Indiana on Saturday for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.
FOLLOW THE MATCH
- Admission is free for all home Carolina volleyball matches at UNC.
- Follow live stats for both matches, and get in-game updates by following @UNCVolleyball on Twitter.
- Watch both matches live on GoHeels TV.
- The last time Illinois and Carolina met was in 2008 at the Illini Classic in Buffalo, N.Y. Illinois won that match 3-0, and leads the all-time series between the two schools at 2-1.
- The last time UNC and Indiana played was in 1987 at the Southern Illinois Invitational in Carbondale, Ill. Indiana took the match, 3-1.
- The Illini are 4-4 overall and 3-3 against top-25 teams this season. Indiana has an 8-1 mark.
#15 NORTH CAROLINA
- This is North Carolina's best season start since going 9-0 to begin the 1981 campaign.
- Last outing: UNC swept all three matches last weekend at the Carolina Classic, defeating George Washington, James Madison and Albany.
- The Tar Heels rank fourth in the nation and lead the ACC with 13.87 assists/set. UNC ranks 10th in the NCAA and second in the ACC with 14.83 kills/set.
- Jovana Bjelica leads Carolina with 89 kills, 10 aces, 34 digs and 19 blocks.
- Kayla Berringer has 20 blocks and 79 kills, and Paige Neuenfeldt has tallied 30 blocks and 60 kills this season.
- Illinois head coach Kevin Hambly earned his 100th career victory in a 3-2 win over Arizona State on Sept. 13.
- Last outing: Illinois topped Arizona State 3-2 before falling to #6 Washington (1-3) and #2 Texas (2-3) at the Illini Classic.
- Jocelynn Birks has posted 139 kills, 59 digs and 15 blocks for Illinois.
- Maddie Mayers has recorded 50 blocks so far in her rookie season, while Jennifer Beltran has tallied 135 digs this season.
- The Hoosiers have won five of nine matches in straight sets and have yet to go to a fifth frame this season.
- Last outing: Indiana topped Wyoming, Tennesee State and UAB last weekend to win the Hoosier Classic.
- Awele Nwaeze leads the Hoosiers this year with 90 kills, 15 digs and 31 blocks.
- Jordan Haverly is Indiana's active leader in kills with 1,472 total, which ranks third in the nation for active players. Haverly has 83 kills so far this season.
- The Hoosiers rank 12th in the NCAA with 14.74 kills/set and 14th overall with a .301 team hitting percentage and 1.87 aces/set.