The North Carolina field hockey team kicked off its preseason workouts on Tuesday, with 17 days until the season opener at Lock Haven on Aug. 30. The Tar Heels, back-to-back Atlantic Coast Conference champions, return 12 letterwinners and welcome 10 newcomers. In addition, three players who redshirted last season are ready to take the field.
"I'm always excited for the start of preseason," said UNC coach Karen Shelton, who is heading into her 33rd season with the team. "We worked hard this spring to lay a strong foundation, and now we get to add the newcomers into the mix. I'm so pleased about our incoming class - these players are going to help us all over the field. We had a great summer with a lot of highlights, and now we're thrilled to have everyone together in Chapel Hill and ready to go."
Newcomers to the team are:
- Kristy Bernatchez, a freshman midfielder from Belgrade, Maine
- Blissie DuBose, a freshman forward from Charlottesville, Va.
- Janne Grove, a graduate student back from Hamburg, Germany
- Shannon Johnson, a freshman goalkeeper from Ocean Port, N.J.
- Lauren Moyer, a freshman forward from York, Pa.
- Sam Night, a freshman midfielder/forward from Houston, Texas
- Nina Notman, a sophomore midfielder/back from Hamburg, Germany
- Jessica Pereira, a freshman midfielder/forward from Palmterton, Pa.
- Rosie Wood, a sophomore goalkeeper from Quinton, Va.
- Julia Young, a freshman back from Yorktown, Va.
The Tar Heels held their annual Welcome Back Dinner on Monday night in the Pope Box at Kenan Football Stadium and hit the field for fitness testing early on Tuesday morning,.