URBANA, Ill. --- No. 2 North Carolina will play for a spot in the national semifinals Sunday when the Tar Heels face No. 7 UCLA at 5 p.m. ET at the University of Illinois' Atkins Tennis Center. Carolina (28-3) advaned to the the quarterfinals with a 4-1 win over No. 15 Nebraska on Friday. The Bruins (19-5) won what was one of the latest-starting matches in NCAA history to advance, topping No. 10 Michigan, 4-0. Sunday's match is also a rematch of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship final that Carolina won, 4-3, back in February.
AT A GLANCE
Sunday, May 19, 5 p.m. ET • Atkins Tennis Center • Urbana, Ill.
Records: North Carolina 28-3, UCLA 19-5
Rankings/Seeds: Carolina is ranked No. 2 in the ITA national poll and is the No. 2 seed in the NCAA Championship. UCLA is ranked No. 7 in the ITA poll and is the No. 7 seed in the NCAA Championship.
Live Scoring: http://www.fightingillini.com/ncaatennis2013/
CAROLINA IN THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP
• UNC is 29-14 (.674) all-time in the NCAA Women's Tennis Championship.
• The Tar Heels have reached the NCAA final site on nine occasions - 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
• In 10 seasons under head coach Brian Kalbas, Carolina is 22-9 (.710) in the NCAA Championship with seven trips to the final site.
• UNC has now reached the national quarterfinals in three of the last four seasons and five times (four under Kalbas) in program history.
• Carolina advanced to the national semifinals for the first time in school history in 2010. The Tar Heels defeated Duke in the quarterfinals in Athens, Ga.