No. 2 North Carolina closes out the ACC regular season slate this weekend with a top 10 showdown as No. 7 Virginia comes to town.The Tar Heels will be in search of a second-straight ACC Coastal title and can lock up the top seed in the ACC Tournament with a win.
News & Notes
• Carolina can secure its second consecutive ACC Coastal Division title with one win over the Cavaliers this weekend. The Tar Heels have won four Coastal Division titles - 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2012.
• A win would give the Tar Heels their first ACC regular season title since 1990 and UNC would be the No. 1 overall seed in the ACC Tournament for the first time since 1990 as well.
• Carolina is the only team in the country that has not suffered a losing streak this season after keeping the streak alive on Tuesday.
• Last weekend's series loss against Georgia Tech was the first series loss of the year for Carolina and the first since April 20-21 of 2012, a stretch of 13 unbeaten series.
• Colin Moran joined elite company over the weekend as he drew his 50th walk of the year. Moran became the second player in UNC history to post 50 BBs, 60 Runs and 70 RBIs in a single season.
• Freshman outfielder Skye Bolt returned to the lineup Tuesday after missing the previous 17 games due to a broken foot and went 1-for-3 with a stolen base.
• The Tar Heels went 13-4 without Bolt in the lineup and averaged 7.24 runs per game compared to 9.24 with the freshman in the lineup the previous 34 games.
• Junior ace Kent Emanuel will be aiming for a single-season best 10 wins on Friday after posting nine wins as a freshman and eight wins as a sophomore.
• Carolina is in position to finish among the top 5 in team scoring and team ERA, a feat accomplished by only three other teams since 1989.
• North Carolina became the first team in the country to reach 40 wins with its 10-2 win over Charlotte and reached 45 wins for the seventh time in eight years with the 3-1 win at Georgia Tech.
• UNC will also captured its 20th ACC win of the year, a feat the Tar Heels have accomplished in five of the last seven years. The most ACC wins for a UNC club is 22 set in the 2006, 2008 and 2012 seasons.
• The 2013 season marks the first time since 2009 that two Tar Heels have tallied at least 60 RBIs in a season when Dustin Ackley (73), Kyle Seager (62) and Mark Fleury (60) accomplished the feat.
• UNC has outscored its opponents 170-34 in the first three innings this year and own the best scoring margin in the country at 5.6.
• Carolina dropped to No. 2 in the latest RPI after holding the top spot the last three weeks. UNC will face No. 3 Virginia and No. 4 Florida State to close out the regular season.
North Carolina-Virginia Series History
• Thursday's contest will be the 283rd all-time meeting between the Tar Heels and Cavaliers.
• Entering the 2013 season the Carolina-Virginia series was the most played series for the Tar Heels but currently sits one game behind the UNC-Wake Forest and UNC-NC State series now.
• Carolina swept the series in Charlottesville a year ago with 2-1, 6-2 and 5-3 wins. UNC has won six of the last seven meetings dating back to the 2010 series where Virginia won all three games.
• Last 5 - UNC leads, 4-1
• Last 10 - UNC leads, 6-4
• Last 5 at UNC - UNC leads, 4-1
• Last 10 at UNC - UNC leads, 7-3
Probable Pitching Matchups
|Day||Carolina Starter||Virginia Starter|
|Thursday||LHP Kent Emanuel||LHP Brandon Waddell|
|(Jr., 9-2, 2.03 ERA, 97.2 IP, 73/18 K/BB)||(Fr., 4-1, 3.88 ERA, 67.1 IP, 69/18 K/BB)|
|Friday||RHP Benton Moss||LHP Scott Silverstein|
|(So., 8-1, 2.96 ERA, 70.0 IP, 74/28 K/BB)||(Sr., 8-1, 3.21 ERA, 67.1 IP, 53/20 K/BB)|
|Sunday||LHP Hobbs Johnson||RHP Whit Mayberry|
|(Jr., 4-0, 1.99 ERA, 58.2 IP, 54/35 K/BB)||(Jr., 4-0, 1.66 ERA, 38.0 IP, 33/7 K/BB)|