Tar Heels Head To Raleigh For ACC Showdown
No. 1 North Carolina heads to Raleigh on Friday for an ACC series against No. 6 NC State as both teams enter the weekend as the leaders in their respective divisions.
The two clubs were picked by the coaches to finish atop the Coastal and Atlantic divisions entering the season and lived up to the billing as UNC owns an 18-2 conference record, 2.5 games clear of Virginia and 7.5 clear of Georgia Tech in the Coastal. NC State is 14-7 in the ACC and a game ahead of both Florida State and Clemson.
News & Notes
• North Carolina became the first team in the country to reach 40 wins on Wednesday with its 10-2 win over Charlotte.
• UNC accomplished the feat in just 43 games, the third-fewest games in NCAA history.
• Carolina will take a 15-game road winning streak to Raleigh this weekend, the longest in the country and six games longer than NC State’s current road streak.
• The Tar Heels are a perfect 6-0 on the road in the ACC this season with road sweeps at Wake Forest and Virginia Tech under their belts.
• Junior 3B Colin Moran has played in 151 games in his collegiate career at UNC as has recorded two or more hits in 60 games and has tallied two or more RBIs in 50 games.
• Moran currently leads the nation in both runs scored (58) and RBIs (67) and would become just the fourth player in the NCAA since 1980 to accomplish the feat.
• Carolina enters the weekend having scored in the first inning of five straight games. For the year the Tar Heels are outscoring their opponents by 120 runs (148-28) in the first three innings.
|Friday||LHP Kent Emanuel||RHP Ryan Wilkins|
|(Jr., 8-1, 1.82 ERA, 79.1 IP, 58/14 K/BB)||(Sr., 5-1, 3.16 ERA, 37.0 IP, 31/9 K/BB)|
|Saturday||RHP Benton Moss||LHP Carlos Rodon|
|(So., 7-0, 2.81 ERA, 57.2 IP, 67/23 K/BB)||(So., 4-2, 4.48 ERA, 60.1 IP, 95/27 K/BB)|
|Sunday||LHP Hobbs Johnson||LHP Brad Stone|
|(Jr., 2-0, 2.45 ERA, 44.0 IP, 36/25 K/BB)||(Fr., 2-1, 6.23 ERA, 39.0 IP, 41/15 K/BB)|