The Tar Heels held their annual team banquet on Sunday, celebrating the 2012-13 season and four graduating seniors.
The highlight of the banquet was the senior speeches given by Tia Gaffen, Emily McGee and Heather Henry. Cora Harms gave her senior speech via Skype, as she is studying abroad this semester in England.
The keynote speaker at the banquet was David Thornton, a 2001 Carolina graduate and former Tar Heel football player who played nine years in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts and Tennessee Titans.
"David's message about his Carolina experience and the values of hard work, putting in the extra effort and going beyond the standard really drove an important message to all of us," head coach Joe Sagula said.
Malaika Underwood, a 2003 graduate and former UNC volleyball player and team captain gave the introduction. Underwood was teammates with assistant coach Eve Rackham. Malaika shared her perspective about the character and person that Thornton represents as a Carolina alum.
Sagula and the Carolina volleyball staff awarded players for their achievements during the season, which are listed below.
2012 Team Awards:
- The Mighty Ram Award: Freshman Hayley McCorkle
- Athletic Director's Scholar Athlete Award: Senior Tia Gaffen
- Rookie of the Year: Freshman Paige Neuenfeldt
- Jean Kindy Award for Perseverence: Sophomore Chaney LaReau
- Most Improved Player Award: Sophomore, Lauren Adkins
- John Lotz Award for the Unsung Hero: Senior Cora Harms & Junior Kayla Berringer
- Outstanding Service to Volleyball Program: Senior Toya Hall (Head manager) and Michael Lunday (Friends of Volleyball)
- Sharon German Outstanding Offensive Player: Freshman Paige Neuenfeldt
- Oakes Award for Excellence: Senior Cora Harms
- Most Valuable Player: Senior Emily McGee