CHAPEL HILL --- No. 1 North Carolina ran its record to 17-1 and 3-0 in Atlantic Coast Conference play with a 7-0 win over No. 60 Virginia Tech Friday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. The Tar Heels broke open a tight doubles point and cruised to six straight-set singles victories for their eighth consecutive dual match win.
All three courts were close early in doubles before UNC began to pull away from the visiting Hokies (11-4, 2-2 ACC). Tessa Lyons and Gina Suarez-Malaguti defeated Emily Lauten and Isel Martinez-Marcos, 8-3, on court three before Ashley Dai and Zoe De Bruycker bested Ralcua Mita and Carol Kahoun on court two. Caroline Price and Laura Slater completed the sweep with their 8-4 win over Ilinca Stoica and Kelly Williford on court one.
Carolina wasted no time seizing the momentum in singles as the Tar Heels took the opening set on all six courts to take control of the dual.
No. 43 De Bruycker continued her recent run of stellar play, topping Martinez-Marcos on court two, 6-1, 6-0. The Saratoga, Calif., senior has won seven of her last eight singles matches, with all seven wins coming in straight sets.
Dai made it 3-0 with her 6-2, 6-1 victory over Kahoun on court five. The win was a nice bounce-back match for the freshman who had recently lost two straight after opening the spring with nine consecutive wins.
Kate Vialle the secured the overall win on court four, finishing up Williford, 6-3, 6-1. Vialle has been a key January addition for the Tar Heels, as the freshman is now 6-1 overall and 5-0 in duals with Friday's win.
No. 9 Suarez-Malaguti was next to finish at the top of the lineup, making quick work of Ilinca Stoica, 6-1, 6-2, for her seventh victory of the spring. No. 25 Kay then made it 6-0 with her 6-1, 6-4, triumph over Mita on court three.
Lyons completed the sweep with a gritty, 6-4, 6-3 victory on court six. The Wallingford, Pa., junior rallied to take the opening set, 6-4, before outlasting Tea Ivanovic 6-3 in the second to give UNC its 10th shutout of 2013 and its 12th win over a ranked opponent.
Carolina continues its four-match homestand Saturday when the Tar Heels host No. 27 Virginia at 1 p.m.
No. 1 North Carolina 7, No. 60 Virginia Tech 0
1. Caroline Price/Laura Slater (NC) def. Ilinca Stoica/Kelly Williford (VT), 8-4
2. Ashley Dai/Zoe De Bruycker (NC) def. Raluca Mita/Carol Kahoun (VT), 8-4
3. Tessa Lyons/Gina Suarez-Malaguti (NC) def. Emily Lauten/Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
1. #9 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (NC) def. Ilinca Stoica (VT), 6-1, 6-2
2. #43 Zoe De Bruycker (NC) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT), 6-1, 6-0
3. #25 Whitney Kay (NC) def. Raluca Mita (VT), 6-1, 6-4
4. Kate Vialle (NC) def. Kelly Williford (VT), 6-3, 6-1
5. Ashley Dai (NC) def. Carol Kahoun (VT), 6-2, 6-1
6. Tessa Lyons (NC) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 5, 4, 1, 3, 6