The day's opening point would come down to a tiebreak on court one. Price and Whitney Kay ran out to a 5-2 lead over the No. 8 team of Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton before the Northwestern duo rallied back to break two times in a row and take a 6-5 lead.
The Tar Heels broke right back, then held serve and had a pair of match points in the ensuing game, but NU eventually held to make it 7-7. Both teams held to force a decisive tiebreaker and the Wildcats had a match point at 6-5 before Price and Kay took the next three points to win the doubles point in a thriller.
Carolina (16-1) quickly went ahead 3-0 thanks to a pair of dominant singles wins from De Bruycker and Price. De Bruycker put together one of her best matches of 2013 in disposing of No. 64 Kate Turvy in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2, on court two. Price moved to 15-0 in duals with her 6-3, 6-3 victory over Alicia Barnett on court four.
But the Wildcats (8-6) responded, taking the opening set on three of the other four courts. Abu Mushrevova got NU on the board with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over No. 124 Ashley Dai at the No. 6 spot. At No. 5, Brittany Wowchuk rallied back from a 5-2 deficit in the opening set to win, 7-5, 6-4, over Lauren McHale.
It would ultimately be Suarez-Malaguti who secured the dual with a win at the top of the lineup. The fourth-ranked senior took the opening set, 6-3, before No. 125 Belinda Niu evened the match with a 6-2 win in the second. After the two split the first two games of the final set, Suarez-Malaguti notched consecutive breaks and finished out the 6-3, 2-6, 6-2, win to take the dual.
In the day's final result, No. 23 Kay dropped her first match of the spring to Veronica Corning, 7-5, 5-6, 6-4, on court three.
Sunday's win concludes a three-match road swing as well as the non-conference portion of the regular season schedule. UNC returns home to face ACC foes Virginia Tech and Virginia March 29 and 30 in Chapel Hill.
No. 1 North Carolina 4, No. 11 Northwestern 3
1. Whitney Kay / Caroline Price (UNC) def. No. 8 Linda Abu Mushrevofa / Nida Hamilton (NU) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Ashley Dai / Zoe DeBruycker (UNC) def. Belinda Niu / Kate Turvy (NU) 8-1
3. Veronica Corning / Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Tessa Lyons / Lauren McHale (UNC) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1*
1. No. 4 Gina Suarez-Malaguti def. No. 125 Belinda Niu (NU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
2. Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) def. No. 64 Kate Turvy (NU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Veronica Corning (NU) def. No. 23 Whitney Kay (UNC) 7-5, 4-6,6-4
4. Caroline Price (UNC) def. Alicia Barnett (NU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Lauren McHale (UNC) 7-5, 6-4
6. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. No. 124 Ashley Dai 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 6, 5, 1*, 3