CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Despite singles wins by Brett Clark and William Parker, the #44 North Carolina men's tennis team fell to #28 VCU by a 5-2 score on Wednesday afternoon at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. With the win, the Rams improved to 12-4 on the season while Carolina dropped its second straight and is now 7-4 overall.
VCU claimed the doubles point with an 8-3 win by Michael Voscek and Max Wennakoski at the #2 spot. The 38th-ranked VCU doubles team of Alejandro Argente and Jamie Vazquez was down a break at #3 doubles before rallying for an 8-6 victory over Oystein Steiro and Andrew Gores.
Freshman Brett Clark quickly tied the match for UNC at #3 singles with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Claes Gorensson. VCU earned the next two points with wins at #6 and #1 singles before senior William Parker recorded a 7-6 (2), 6-1 victory over Michael Voscek at the #4 spot in singles.
Down a set at both remaining singles, UNC players fought back in the second sets but were unable to rally all the way back. #15-ranked Max Wennakoski of the Rams held off Nelson Vick 6-3, 6-4 at the #2 spot. Oystein Steiro was down 6-4, 5-0 at the #5 spot but rallied to force a second-set tiebreaker before falling to Alejandro Argente 7-4 in the tiebreaker.
Next up for the Tar Heels is a spring break trip to the Lone Star State for matches against TCU and Texas. Carolina will match up against the Horned Frogs on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Fort Worth, Texas. The Heels will also be in action against Texas next Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Austin, Texas.
Live stats links for both matches can be found at GoHeels.com.
#28 VCU 5, #44 North Carolina 2
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of
Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (2, 3, DNF)
1. William Parker/Brett Clark (UNC) vs. #39 Alex Huegas/Dylan McClosky, 5-5 (DNF)
2. Michael Voscek/Max Wennakoski d. Nelson Vick/Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC), 8-3
3. #38 Alejandro Argente/Jamie Vazquez (VCU) d. Oystein Steiro/Andrew Gores (UNC), 8-6
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (3, 6, 1, 4, 3, 5)
1. #99 Alex Heugas (VCU) d. #29 Esben-Hess Olesen (UNC), 6-4, 6-2
2. #15 Max Wennakoski (VCU) d. #110 Nelson Vick (UNC), 6-3, 6-4
3. #124 Brett Clark (UNC) d. Claes Gorensson (VCU), 6-1, 6-1
4. William Parker (UNC) d. Michael Voscek (VCU), 7-6 (2), 6-15. Alejandro Argente (VCU) d. Oystein Steiro (UNC), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
6. Jamie Vazquez (VCU) d. Stuart DePaolo (UNC), 6-0, 6-2
Records: North Carolina (7-4), VCU (12-4)