North Carolina 79, UNLV 73
Dec. 29, 2012
- Tar Heels are now 10-3 overall, 7-0 at the Smith Center.
- This was Carolina's first win as an unranked team in the Associated Press poll over a ranked team since the Tar Heels beat 10th-ranked Kentucky on Dec. 4, 2010.
- Carolina played without junior forward Reggie Bullock, who suffered a mild concussion in practice on Dec. 27th. Bullock was UNC's second-leading scorer and rebounder and started the first 12 games.
- Senior guard Dexter Strickland led five Tar Heels in scoring with a season-high 16 points. It was his highest scoring game since he had a career-high 19 against William and Mary on Dec. 21, 2010.
- Sophomore guard P.J. Hairston made his first college start and had 15 points, four rebounds and tied his career high with four steals. He had no turnovers, scored twice after offensive rebounds and made two key free throws with 28 seconds to play with UNC holding a 76-73 lead.
- Hairston played a career-high 32 minutes, nine more than his previous longest stint (23 vs. UAB).
- Desmond Hubert blocked a career-high three shots in a career-high 20 minutes.
- Carolina won its 63rdconsecutive non-conference game at the Smith Center.
- The Tar Heels are now 4-1 against UNLV.
- Carolina shot 50.9 percent from the floor, the fourth time this year UNC shot 50 percent or better from the floor. The Tar Heels shot 53.1 percent in the first half - the third time in the last four games UNC topped the 50 percent mark in the opening 20 minutes.
- Marcus Paige had 12 points (first time in double figures in five games), four assists and just two turnovers in a season-high 34 minutes (previous high was 29 minutes twice).
- Paige has only two turnovers in the last two games (59 minutes).
- Freshman forward Brice Johnson scored 12 points, grabbed four rebounds and had a career-high three steals. Johnson scored in double figures for the eighth time and is now shooting 63.2 percent from the floor.
- This was the third game this season in which the Tar Heels were out-rebounded but the first time UNC won the game.