CHAPEL HILL --- North Carolina will look to improve to 7-0 on the season when the Tar Heels welcome Ohio State to Carmichael Arena Wednesday night at 7 as part of the 2012 ACC/Big Ten Challenge. UNC is coming off a pair of blowout wins over La Salle and UNCA last weekend. Ohio State is 4-1 on the season following an 82-52 victory over Wright State on Sunday.
UNC is ranked No. 22 in the latest Associated Press poll and receiving votes in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches' Poll. Ohio State is ranked No. 15 in the AP poll and No. 16 in the coaches' poll.
AT A GLANCE
Records: North Carolina 6-0, Ohio State 4-1
Rankings: North Carolina is ranked No. 22 in the AP poll and receiving votes in the coaches' poll. Ohio State is ranked No. 15 in the AP poll and No. 16 in the coaches' poll.
TV: ESPN3. Dave Nathan (play-by-play) and Kyle Straub (analyst) have the call.
Radio: Tar Heel Sports Network, a division of Learfield Communications. Walter Storholt (play-by-play) has the call. A link to the live stream can be found at GoHeels.com.
On The Web: GoHeels.com • Twitter: @UNCWBB • @UNCWBBCoach
OHIO STATE SERIES NOTES
• North Carolina is 3-3 all-time against Ohio State and 2-1 vs. the Buckeyes in Chapel Hill.
• UNC and Ohio State have played just once during the last 30 years. That meeting came during the 2008 ACC/Big Ten Challenge, a 72-63 Carolina victory in Columbus.
UNC AGAINST THE BIG TEN
• Carolina has played at least one game against each of the 12 current members of the Big Ten.
• UNC has an all-time record of 24-13 against current Big Ten schools. Only Nebraska (0-1) has a winning record against the Tar Heels.
• Carolina is 3-2 in the current incarnation of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The Tar Heels defeated Purdue,
90-72, in Chapel Hill in the 2008 event and Ohio State, 72-63, in Columbus in 2009. UNC suffered its first
loss in three seasons in 2010, a 72-66 setback at Michigan State, before rebounding with a 79-67 home win over Iowa in 2011. The Tar Heels lost a shootout at Penn State last season, 103-84.
• While this year's version is officially the sixth ACC/Big Ten Challenge, Carolina has played two other games that were dubbed the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. In 1993, UNC defeated Northwestern, 98-75, in Charlottesville, Va. In 1999, the Tar Heels defeated Michigan State, 82-65, in Myrtle Beach, S.C.