Career Best Times: 1:41.66 in 200-yard freestyle; 4:23.62 in 500-yard freestyle; 9:11.66 in 1000-yard freestyle; 14:56.93 in 1650-yard freestyle; 3:56.33 in 400-yard individual medley.
Long Course Highlights: Captured third place in the five-kilometer event at the 2012 U.S. Open Water Championships...at 2012 USS Championships he placed 14th in the 1500-meter freestyle in 15:58.17...notched 11th place in the 1500-meter freestyle at the US Open in 15:34.62...took 13th place in the 2011 10-kilometer U.S. Open Water National Championships...placed 16th in the 2011 ConocoPhillips National Championships in the 1500-meter freestyle...went 15:35.05 in the event, over 25 seconds faster than his previous career best time of 16:00.71.
2012-13: Winner of 2012 Pier 2 Pier Open Water Championship in Wrightsville Beach, N.C., completing the 1.7-mile course in 30 minutes, 22 seconds.
2011-12: Had excellent dual meet season, winning 1000 free events against ECU, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Clemson and Duke...placed first in the 1650 freestyle in the dual meet against Virginia Tech in a VT pool record time of 15:49.08...placed in three events at the 2011 Nike Cup Championshops...notched third place in the 1650 free (15:28.15) and sixth in the 500 free (4:30.67)...placed second at Pier 2 Pier Open Water Swimming Championship in Wrightsville Beach, N.C., finishing the 1.7-mile course in 33 minutes, 12 seconds.
2010-11: ACC Freshman of the Year... an honorable mention All-America selection...shared the Jamerson Memorial Award as the team's most improved swimmer with Tom Luchsinger...won the 500-yard freestyle in the dual meet versus Duke in an NCAA "B" standard time and career best 4:23.62...won College Cup Invitational title in 1650-yard freestyle in an NCAA "B" standard of 15:05.98...won the Counsilman Hunsaker National Swimmer of the Week Award on February 8, 2011 after his performance in the 2011 College Cup Invitational...named the ACC Swimmer of the Week on February 8, 2011...placed 13th in the 1650-yard freestyle at the NCAA Championships in a time of 14:56.93, more than nine seconds faster than his previous career best...had a career best 9:03.32 split in the 1000 of that race...as a freshman set Duke pool records in 1000 free (9:06.26) and 1650 free (15:05.98).
Prep: Graduated from Westhill High School in Syracuse, N.Y. on June 26, 2010...began swimming at age nine...competed for Syracuse Chargers club team...also played basketball, baseball and soccer...as a club swimmer he was a member of 2009 National Select Camp...2012 Olympic Trials qualifier in the 400 IM and 1500-meter free...2008 Northeast Speedo Champions Series long course high point champion...four-time high school All-America...at state championships, he took second place in 500 free and third in 200 IM as a junior and third in 500 free and 200 IM as a sophomore...Spanish National Honor Society member.Personal: Given name is Daniel James O'Connor...son of Don and Susan O'Connor...was born February 12, 1992 in Syracuse, N.Y. ...has two brothers...stands 5-11 tall...exercise and sports science major...had his personal best GPA in spring semester 2012.
20 Questions With Junior Dan O'Connor
Section #1: Swimming & Diving
1. The best thing about being a Tar Heel swimmer is that it's a great program and I trust it.
2. My favorite thing about competing for Coach DeSelm is that he truly cares about all his swimmers
3. Since last year the aspect of my training I've worked on the most is pacing myself.
4. My best friend on another college swimming team is Ben Seketa at Bucknell University.
5. My greatest strength as a swimmer is my confidence and determination.
Section #2: Hobbies & Interests
1. Away from the pool and academic pursuits I like to spend time hanging out with friends, sleeping eating, going on walks and bike rides.
2. The best movie I've seen recently is The Hunger Games.
3. If I could compete in another sport at UNC it would be baseball.
4. The music act I'd most like to see in person is Mariah Carey.
5. The personal interest I have that might surprise my teammates is that I can play the piano.
Section #3: Food & Beverage
1. After a big meet, I'd like to eat a buffet spread at that included pasta and avocados.
2. My favorite beverage is water.
3. My favorite food made by a relative is my Grandma's spaghetti.
4. My favorite place to eat in Chapel Hill is Sweet Frog.
5. My favorite guilty pleasure food wise is Chicken Wings.
Section #4: Personality
1. If I possessed the gift of time travel I'd like to go to Ancient Egypt.
2. My most prized personal possession is my phone.
3. If I could go to dinner with a famous person it would be Mariah Carey.
4. My dream job is to be a famous actor.
5. The most interesting person I've met at UNC is Kelsey Cummings.