CHAPEL HILL --- Carolina's football season kicks off in just over a week when the Tar Heels play host to Elon on Sept. 1. It is the first of seven home Saturdays at Kenan Stadium under new head coach Larry Fedora, who has promised to bring an entertaining brand of football to Kenan Stadium.
"It's fast-break football and our fans won't want to miss it," says Fedora. "I'm challenging all of our fans to make Kenan one of the nation's best atmospheres. Arrive early, be loud and intimidating to our opponents, and enjoy the day in Chapel Hill."
Below are seven new game day elements fans should look for this fall. Stay tuned to GoHeels.com, like us at facebook.com/tarheels and follow @goheels on Twitter throughout the season. We will ask what you like best about gameday in Kenan Stadium and we'll award the seven best answers (can include videos, photos or other posts). Winners will receive t-shirts and other prizes.
1 - New schemes in all three phases of the game
• The spread offense, which promises to keep fans entertained
• An attacking defense with a new 4-2-5 scheme that includes multiple fronts and multiple blitzes
• Explosive plays on special teams. Last season, Fedora's special teams ran successful fake punts from their own end zone...twice.
2 - A new and exciting pregame show
• New band entrance - fans should be in their seats early for a new and colorful entrance from the concourse level to the field
• New pregame videos
3 - Fireworks
• Back by popular demand, fireworks return to Kenan Stadium and will be on display at the national anthem, team entrance and after every Carolina score
4 - Early Bird Concessions Special Discounts & New Pizza
• From the time the gates open until 30 minutes before kickoff, hot dogs and soft drinks are half-price
• Available at five concessions stands near gates 2, 3, 5 and 6
• Papa John's Pizza now available for sale in Kenan Stadium
5 - Kenan Stadium Amphitheatre
• Located in front of the Kenan Football Center, the Kenan Stadium Amphitheatre and Park will make its debut at the ECU game on Sept. 22
• Festivities are free and open to the general public
• Entertainment includes live music, food vendors, game day shopping, former Tar Heel greats and much more
• Opening concert on Sept. 22 is Tar Heel country recording artist Chase Rice
6 - Military Appreciation Day - Sept. 29 vs. Idaho
• Golden Knights parachute team scheduled to deliver the game ball
• Military jet flyover scheduled during pregame
• Special Halftime performance honoring all military personnel
• Military recognitions throughout the game
7 - White Out - Oct. 6 vs. Virginia Tech
• The home debut of the new Carolina Football white helmet with white jerseys and pants
• All fans encouraged to wear white and help White Out Kenan Stadium
• Official White Out t-shirts for sale at GoHeels.com and at Kenan Stadium all season ($10 short-sleeve/$15 long-sleeve)
• White Out shirts will be available at Chapel Hill Sportswear on Franklin St. beginning Aug. 30