CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - No. 4 seed North Carolina is set to face No. 5 seed Georgia Tech Thursday in the first round of the 2013 ACC Softball Tournament, which will be held Thursday- Saturday, May 9-11, in Tallahassee, Fla.
The winner of Thursday's contest will advance to a semifinal game on Friday at 3:30 p.m. To view the complete bracket and for more information on the tournament, visit the ACC championship page.
Follow the Game
- Thursday's game will be shown live on ESPN3.
- Follow live stats here.
- Follow @UNCSoftball on Twitter for more updates.
Carolina at the ACC Tournament
North Carolina is 24-35 all-time at the ACC Softball Tournament. UNC finished the 2013 regular season in fourth, but the Tar Heels are no strangers to top ACC team performances. UNC has four regular season titles (1996, 1998, 2008 and 2012) and one tournament title (2001).
This is the sixth-straight year the Tar Heels have a No. 4 seed or higher in the tournament. UNC has been the top seed five times.
All-Time Records vs. ACC Opponents
(2013 series record)
- vs. Boston College: 23-3 (3-0)
- vs. Florida State: 24-59 (1-2)
- vs. Georgia Tech: 32-32 (2-1)
- vs. Maryland: 38-18 (1-2)
- vs. NC State: 25-47 (1-2)
- vs. Virginia: 77-30-1 (3-0)
- vs. Virginia Tech: 22-13 (2-1)
ACC Players of the Week
UNC has had a player or pitcher of the week six times this season. Lori Spingola was tabbed the pitcher of the week three times (Feb. 19, Feb. 26 and April 9), and Constance Orr (March 5) and Kristen Brown (April 23) were each named the player of the week once.
The Tar Heels dropped their series with Maryland to close out regular season play, but Carolina won the final game of the series to end the season with an 8-1 victory.
Top Tar Heels
- The Tar Heels lead the ACC with a .976 fielding percentage, which ranks No. 11 in the NCAA.
- UNC ranks No. 39 in the NCAA with a .306 team batting average.
- The Tar Heels are No. 46 in the NCAA for home runs per game (1.00).
- Carolina is 35th in slugging percentage in the NCAA (.476).
- Lori Spingola ranks third in the NCAA with 28 wins and seventh with 270 strikeouts. She leads the ACC with her 270 strikeouts and is tied for first in wins.
- Kristen Brown ranks fifth in the ACC for hits (57); sixth for batting average (.358); eighth for total bases (99); and ninth for home runs (11).
- Constance Orr ranks third in the ACC with 114 total bases and third with 15 home runs; fourth with 50 RBIs; fifth with a .713 slugging percentage; sixth in hits (56); and ninth with a .350 batting average. Orr ranks 25th in the NCAA with her 15 homers.
Highlights of the Season
- Lori Spingola has six games with 10+ strikeouts, with a season-high of 14 vs. Pittsburgh (2/17)
- Spingola was one walk away from a perfect game in a 4-0 win over North Dakota State (2/21) and has given up just one hit six times this year.
- Haleigh Dickey set a UNC career home run record (39) on 4/3. She now has 41 over four years.
- Carolina has played six top-25 teams, beating No. 10 LSU (3-1, 2/10) and No. 20 Baylor (3-0, 3/1).
- The Tar Heels finished 23-2 at home this season.