CARY, N.C. - North Carolina's ACC Tournament run ended on Thursday as the No. 54 Tar Heels were defeated by No. 2 Virginia 4-0 in the quarterfinals at Cary Tennis Park.
It was the 104th successive Atlantic Coast Conference victory for the Cavaliers (22-0) as they scored two decisive doubles wins and were leading at all six singles before the match was called when the score reached 4-0. UNC saw its record fall to 12-13. The Tar Heels are not eligible for an NCAA Tournament bid because they have a losing overall record. This will be the first time Carolina has missed the tournament since 1999.
The Cavaliers won matches at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles as ranked teams won at both positions. UNC's doubles team of William Parker and Nelson Vick was leading the third-ranked Virginia duo of Jarmere Jenkins and Mac Styslinger 6-5 when the match was called.
Virginia then won in straight sets at #3, #2 and #5 singles to clinch the win and a spot in Saturday's semifinals. The match took just a little over two hours to play on a 70 degree day in Cary under sunny skies.
It was the final collegiate match for two excellent seniors – William Parker and Taylor Meyer.
Heading into next year, the Tar Heels are 70-33 in ACC regular season matches since 2004. Carolina has handed Virginia two of its three ACC regular season losses since the '04 season. The Tar Heels are the last team to beat UVA in an ACC regular season match, that coming in 2006.
#2 Virginia 4, #54 North Carolina 0
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One
Order of match finish: (2, 3)
1. #70 William Parker/Nelson Vick (UNC) led #3 Jarmere Jenkins/Mac Stysliner (VA), 6-5, DNF
2. #16 Alex Domijan/Mitchell Frank (VA) d. #86 Brett Clark/Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC), 8-0
3. #79 Justin Shane/Julian Urigen (VA)d. James Coxe/Oystein Steiro (UNC), 8-4
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (3, 2, 5)
1. #3 Jarmere Jenkins (VA) led #43 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC), 6-3, 2-1, DNF
2. #1 Alex Domijan (VA) d. Brett Clark (UNC), 6-2, 6-2
3. #39 Mitchell Frank (VA) d Nelson Vick (UNC), 6-0, 6-2
4. #27 Mac Styslinger (VA) led William Parker (UNC), 6-2, 5-2, DNF5. Justin Shane (VA) d. Oystein Steiro (UNC), 6-2, 6-4
6. Julian Urigen (VA) led Stuart DePaolo (UNC), 6-2, 4-1, DNF
Records: North Carolina 12-13, Virginia 22-0