CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. --- No. 1 North Carolina clinched its second outright Atlantic Coast Conference regular season title in four years Monday with a 4-0 victory over No. 63 Boston College at the Flynn Athletic Complex. The match, which was originally scheduled for last Friday before the Boston Marathon bombings and subsequent manhunt caused a city-wide lockdown, was the final action before the ACC Championship begins Thursday in Cary, N.C.
Whitney Kay, Lauren McHale and Zoe De Bruycker won singles matches for the Tar Heels, who will face the winner of NC State and Boston College in Friday's ACC quarterfinals. UNC opened the afternoon with doubles wins on the top two courts and never looked back.
The win gives the senior class of De Bruycker, McHale and Gina Suarez-Malaguti a four-year ACC regular season record of 40-4 and a third league title, joining the regular season crown in 2010 and the tournament championship in 2011.
No. 1 North Carolina 4, No. 63 Boston College 0
1. Lauren McHale/Ashley Dai (UNC) def. #78 Jessica Wacnik/Alex Kelleher (BC), 8-3
2. #52 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (UNC) def. Heini Salonen/Olga Khmylev (BC), 8-4
3. Tessa Lyons/Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) led Katya Vasilyev/Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC), 5-4, unfinished
Order of finish: 1, 2
1. #9 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) led Alex Kelleher (BC), 6-1, 4-5, unfinished
2. #40 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) def. Jessica Wacnik (BC), 6-2, 6-3
3. #33 Whitney Kay (UNC) def. Kelly Barry ,(BC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Lauren McHale (UNC) def. Heini Salonen (BC), 6-1, 6-1
5. Katya Vasilyev (BC) vs. Tessa Lyons (UNC), 6-3, 2-6, unfinished
6. Kate Vialle (UNC) led Wan-Yi Sweeting (BC), 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
Order of finish: 3, 4, 2