CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - NC State won a quartet of three-set singles matches Friday afternoon to prevail over North Carolina 6-1 in men's tennis action at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
After winning the doubles point, NC State led 2-1 after the squads split singles matches at #1 and #3. State had won the first set on the other four courts only to see Carolina sweep the second sets on all four courts. But the Wolfpack persevered, claiming three-set victories at #2, #4, #5 and #6.
The win was the first for the Wolfpack over the Tar Heels since a 5-2 win on March 4, 2009 in Raleigh.
Carolina sole singles win came at the top spot in the lineup where 35th-ranked Esben Hess-Olesen won a decisive 6-2, 6-3 decision over Robbie Mudge.
NCSU won the doubles point with an 8-6 win over the Tar Heels at the #3 spot after the two teams split at #1 and #2. Mudge and Thomas Weigel edged Brett Clark and Oystein Steiro at #3.
Carolina had its chances in the third sets of the close singles matches and actually led at the #2, #4 and #5 spots only to fall short as the Wolfpack came back to claim all three of those third sets.
The Tar Heels are back in action Sunday when they host #8 Duke at 1 p.m. at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
#44 NC State 6, #57 North Carolina 1
(Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: (1,2,3)
1. #12 Dave Thomason/Sean Weber (NCSU) d. Esben Hess-Olesen/Maik Ulrich (UNC), 8-5
2. William Parker/Nelson Vick (UNC) d. Beck Bond/Austin Powell (NCSU), 8-5
3. Robbie Mudge/Thomas Weigel (NCSU) d. Brett Clark/Oystein Steiro (UNC), 8-6
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: (1,3,6,4,5,2)
1. #35 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) d. Robbie Mudge (NCSU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) d. #113 Nelson Vick (UNC), 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
3. Austin Powell (NCSU) d. #104 Brett Clark (UNC), 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
4. Dave Thomson (NCSU) d. William Parker (UNC), 6-4, 0-6, 7-6 (10-8)5. Sean Weber (UNC) d. #114 Oystein Steiro (UNC), 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4
6. Beck Bond (NCSU) d. Andrew Gores (UNC), 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Records: North Carolina (7-7), NC State (7-5)